Joe Miranda is offline Stainless

Default O/T how to get internet service w/o landline

I need to get internet service on my laptop and don't want to pay for a landline. What are my options? I have Verizon for my cell phone. Do they offer that service?

paul39 is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miranda View Post
    I need to get internet service on my laptop and don't want to pay for a landline. What are my options? I have Verizon for my cell phone. Do they offer that service?
    Try here:

Elyria Internet Service Providers in Elyria OH Yellow Pages by SuperPages

In North Carolina AT&T offers internet without a land line. Ohio may also.

Paul

Waterlogged is offline Hot Rolled

Many providers offer internet without a landline. You just have to ask because it frequently isn't listed in bold print. They want you to get both, and cable, and cell phone, and an insurance policy......

john109 is offline Plastic

I've just moved to AR, got ATT internet for only $35 a month with no landline.
    Cheapest I could find.

davohouston is offline Hot Rolled

I have verizon internet for my laptop, its a usb cellular modem and works very good, not cheap though. It cost $60 a month on top of my $60 monthly cell service.

gnorbury is offline Hot Rolled

You can use wired or wireless tether with certain cellphones.

L Vanice is offline Diamond

By landline, do you mean a telephone line, or do you mean any wire reaching your house?

I have Internet service through a buried cable, and do not use them for TV or phone service.

A relative moved to the sticks outside Reno, NV and found a local provider with a wireless internet service that covers houses within range of their various transceivers, mounted on utility poles. She said it was cheaper than satellite, and dial-up is too slow.
    http://www.avantwireless.com/wireless_FAQ.html

You can take your laptop to an area with free wi-fi, like many restaurants, coffee houses and libraries. You can just park outside if you don't want to buy anything. Or maybe your neighbors forgot to set a password for their wireless system. I had to remind one of my neighbors that they should do that.

Larry

metlmunchr is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by davohouston View Post
    I have verizon internet for my laptop, its a usb cellular modem and works very good, not cheap though. It cost $60 a month on top of my $60 monthly cell service.
    Must be a standard rate for Verizon. Next door neighbor has the same setup and pays the same amount.

bosleyjr is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by metlmunchr View Post
    Must be a standard rate for Verizon. Next door neighbor has the same setup and pays the same amount.
    As do I. I have a built in data link in my computer. At home, I use the hard line or Wifi. Waiting for the plane, or in a taxi, I used the Verizon phone. Works great. Saves my butt regularly. Not sure if you want to use it for everyday use, though. I think that there's a limit to the data bandwidth you get.

Jim

Bobw is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    A relative moved to the sticks outside Reno, NV and found a local provider with a wireless internet service that covers houses within range of their various transceivers, mounted on utility poles. She said it was cheaper than satellite, and dial-up is too slow
    I had that wireless microwave, I had an antennae on my roof that shot 8 miles down the valley to a cell tower. It is line of sight though. I'm not sure if they would even have it in Ohio, though when I was in 6th grade we got a new student from Ohio (I was in MA then), and the teacher made her stand up in front of class and tell everybody about herself, and somebody asked "Whats different between here and Ohio", and she said "The trees are bigger". So maybe.

I will go back to it, I moved in with the girlfriend and she is on the hook to the phone company for another 8 months. There are now 3 towers that I can visually see from the back porch, it can be rocket fast, when the best DSL out here (that I couldn't get) was 1.5 megs, I was pulling down 3.5, weather doesn't effect it and it was only $50 a month, $100 for all the equipment and installation.

OR.... Satellite, if you hate yourself, and like to piss away buttloads of money on a shitty slow limited service that is still better than dial up. That is an absolute last resort for dead nuts middle of nowhere.

I know quite a few people that have accounts up here, but have the equipment set up at their fishing cabin down in Mexico, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    By landline, do you mean a telephone line, or do you mean any wire reaching your house?

I have Internet service through a buried cable, and do not use them for TV or phone service.

A relative moved to the sticks outside Reno, NV and found a local provider with a wireless internet service that covers houses within range of their various transceivers, mounted on utility poles. She said it was cheaper than satellite, and dial-up is too slow.
    http://www.avantwireless.com/wireless_FAQ.html

You can take your laptop to an area with free wi-fi, like many restaurants, coffee houses and libraries. You can just park outside if you don't want to buy anything. Or maybe your neighbors forgot to set a password for their wireless system. I had to remind one of my neighbors that they should do that.

Larry
    My neighbor was using my Internet because I didn't have my wireless router encrypted. My Internet slowed way down between 6:30 and 9:30 Pm.......Sucks......Encripted it. Way better now.

Joe Miranda is offline Stainless

moonlight

For a while I was using my neighbor's internet connection out in my shop because it was fast than mine. I probably should have asked first. But they must have encrypted it because I can't get on through theirs any longer. But where I need the wifi service is at my church. I pastor a church in a rural area that has no landline and the church really doesn't have the funds for wifi service. If one of the neighbors had internet srevice I would approach them and offer to split the cost but my computer says there is nothing in range. It looks like the cheapest route is the $60 service through my cell-phone provider. I will check into it today.

Thanks everybody.

Joe

W. Johnson is offline Cast Iron

Verizon Wireless(Verizon & Verizon Wireless are 2 different companies) has 2 National Wireless Broadband plans. USB or PC Card modem.

250MB/month = $40
    5GB/month = $60

Not as fast as cable, but very acceptable. It works well at the shop, better at my house.

Check their website for coverage area.
    www.verizonwireless.com

Wayne

RC99 is online now Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by W. Johnson View Post
    Verizon Wireless(Verizon & Verizon Wireless are 2 different companies) has 2 National Wireless Broadband plans. USB or PC Card modem.

250MB/month = $40
    5GB/month = $60
    Now that is expensive even by Oz standards...

Here I can get 6GB/month wireless 3G for ~US$35.

Tim The Grim is offline Aluminum

If you have a Droid phone like the "Incredible" or whatever their version of the "Hero" is you can install an APP called PDANET . It lets you use the phone as a modem through either a USB or Bluetooth connection to your PC.

The app is free to try for 2 weeks and then, if you decide to stay with it, a one time $18.95 payment to get the full version.

It works well with my Sprint HTC Hero and an ACER netbook.