What's new
What's new

O/T how to get internet service w/o landline

Joe Miranda

Titanium
I need to get internet service on my laptop and don't want to pay for a landline. What are my options? I have Verizon for my cell phone. Do they offer that service?

Many providers offer internet without a landline. You just have to ask because it frequently isn't listed in bold print. They want you to get both, and cable, and cell phone, and an insurance policy......

By landline, do you mean a telephone line, or do you mean any wire reaching your house?

I have Internet service through a buried cable, and do not use them for TV or phone service.

A relative moved to the sticks outside Reno, NV and found a local provider with a wireless internet service that covers houses within range of their various transceivers, mounted on utility poles. She said it was cheaper than satellite, and dial-up is too slow.
http://www.avantwireless.com/wireless_FAQ.html

You can take your laptop to an area with free wi-fi, like many restaurants, coffee houses and libraries. You can just park outside if you don't want to buy anything. Or maybe your neighbors forgot to set a password for their wireless system. I had to remind one of my neighbors that they should do that.

Larry

Must be a standard rate for Verizon. Next door neighbor has the same setup and pays the same amount.

As do I. I have a built in data link in my computer. At home, I use the hard line or Wifi. Waiting for the plane, or in a taxi, I used the Verizon phone. Works great. Saves my butt regularly. Not sure if you want to use it for everyday use, though. I think that there's a limit to the data bandwidth you get.

Jim

A relative moved to the sticks outside Reno, NV and found a local provider with a wireless internet service that covers houses within range of their various transceivers, mounted on utility poles. She said it was cheaper than satellite, and dial-up is too slow

I had that wireless microwave, I had an antennae on my roof that shot 8 miles down the valley to a cell tower. It is line of sight though. I'm not sure if they would even have it in Ohio, though when I was in 6th grade we got a new student from Ohio (I was in MA then), and the teacher made her stand up in front of class and tell everybody about herself, and somebody asked "Whats different between here and Ohio", and she said "The trees are bigger". So maybe.

I will go back to it, I moved in with the girlfriend and she is on the hook to the phone company for another 8 months. There are now 3 towers that I can visually see from the back porch, it can be rocket fast, when the best DSL out here (that I couldn't get) was 1.5 megs, I was pulling down 3.5, weather doesn't effect it and it was only $50 a month, $100 for all the equipment and installation.

OR.... Satellite, if you hate yourself, and like to piss away buttloads of money on a shitty slow limited service that is still better than dial up. That is an absolute last resort for dead nuts middle of nowhere.

I know quite a few people that have accounts up here, but have the equipment set up at their fishing cabin down in Mexico, that makes sense.

By landline, do you mean a telephone line, or do you mean any wire reaching your house?

I have Internet service through a buried cable, and do not use them for TV or phone service.

A relative moved to the sticks outside Reno, NV and found a local provider with a wireless internet service that covers houses within range of their various transceivers, mounted on utility poles. She said it was cheaper than satellite, and dial-up is too slow.
http://www.avantwireless.com/wireless_FAQ.html

You can take your laptop to an area with free wi-fi, like many restaurants, coffee houses and libraries. You can just park outside if you don't want to buy anything. Or maybe your neighbors forgot to set a password for their wireless system. I had to remind one of my neighbors that they should do that.

Larry

My neighbor was using my Internet because I didn't have my wireless router encrypted. My Internet slowed way down between 6:30 and 9:30 Pm.......Sucks......Encripted it. Way better now.

moonlight

For a while I was using my neighbor's internet connection out in my shop because it was fast than mine. I probably should have asked first. But they must have encrypted it because I can't get on through theirs any longer. But where I need the wifi service is at my church. I pastor a church in a rural area that has no landline and the church really doesn't have the funds for wifi service. If one of the neighbors had internet srevice I would approach them and offer to split the cost but my computer says there is nothing in range. It looks like the cheapest route is the $60 service through my cell-phone provider. I will check into it today.

Thanks everybody.

Joe

Verizon Wireless(Verizon & Verizon Wireless are 2 different companies) has 2 National Wireless Broadband plans. USB or PC Card modem.

250MB/month = $40
5GB/month = $60

Not as fast as cable, but very acceptable. It works well at the shop, better at my house.

Check their website for coverage area.
www.verizonwireless.com

Wayne

If you have a Droid phone like the "Incredible" or whatever their version of the "Hero" is you can install an APP called PDANET . It lets you use the phone as a modem through either a USB or Bluetooth connection to your PC.

The app is free to try for 2 weeks and then, if you decide to stay with it, a one time $18.95 payment to get the full version.

It works well with my Sprint HTC Hero and an ACER netbook.

Back