What's new
What's new

O.T. Oral flea control for canines

I have used both and the dog likes the nexgard better.It cost a few dollars more but it is soft and she gobbles it down.

Your plan to control fleas is to poison your dog? Why not just finish him off quick with a revolver?

Fleas have a life cycle that involves laying eggs in the animal's bedding area. As long as the bedding area is kept perfectly clean by vacuuming and antiseptic washing to destroy the eggs, there will be no fleas.

Fleas have a life cycle that involves laying eggs in the animal's bedding area. As long as the bedding area is kept perfectly clean by vacuuming and antiseptic washing to destroy the eggs, there will be no fleas.

Do you dogs ever leave the house? Fleas can be found everywhere, especially in a residential area with lots of other animals around. Once they get on your pet, it's a pain in the ass to get rid of them.

I use a topical medication on my dog. Once a month. It's quick and easy.

Do you dogs ever leave the house? Fleas can be found everywhere, especially in a residential area with lots of other animals around. Once they get on your pet, it's a pain in the ass to get rid of them.

I use a topical medication on my dog. Once a month. It's quick and easy.

The reason you have a problem getting rid of them and I don't is because I bothered to find out in detail how the flea life cycle works and you did not. Since I know this I have no problem dealing with fleas. As I already said above, all you have to do is keep their bedding area clean. If you fail to do this, it does not matter how much poison you put on the animal, the fleas will keep coming back. I have never used poison and I never have a problem with fleas because I make sure no eggs are allowed to persist in the bedding area.

The reason you have a problem getting rid of them and I don't is because I bothered to find out in detail how the flea life cycle works and you did not. Since I know this I have no problem dealing with fleas. As I already said above, all you have to do is keep their bedding area clean. If you fail to do this, it does not matter how much poison you put on the animal, the fleas will keep coming back. I have never used poison and I never have a problem with fleas because I make sure no eggs are allowed to persist in the bedding area.

Um...you are lucky.

I am a veterinary technician. I know the life cycle. In my old house, I never had a problem. In the new house, we are infested. I've got my dogs on oral and topical flea medication, and everything is kept clean. It's seasonal only, but it still sucks. And for what it's worth, the old and new house were only 10 miles apart....I'm just in a more sandy soil.

And collies are susceptible to ivermectin and other macrolytic lactones. Not so much for the flea medications. Cats however...very sensitive to the flea meds.

Have had my 3 dogs on the NexGard for about 6 months now, works a treat and is easy to give to them.

Frontline and Advantage just would not work, changed vets and he suggested the NexGard and so far its good for a good three or
four weeks before they start scratching again.

Have had my 3 dogs on the NexGard for about 6 months now, works a treat and is easy to give to them.

Frontline and Advantage just would not work, changed vets and he suggested the NexGard and so far its good for a good three or
four weeks before they start scratching again.

Frontline and Advantage and similar topical fleaicides have little effect on fleas in my part of North-Carolina.

Ever live in the south? Fleas are a constant worry. We moved into a house that the backyard was infested with sand fleas. Took forever to finally kill them off and keep them off the dogs. You have just been lucky with them apparently and don't know any better.

Just to add to the topic of flea control...

We started using the once every 6 month shot for heart worms and we love it, no more worry about forgetting to give them their
heart worm pill. In the long run it works out to about the same price.

Now twice a year we will get a notice in the mail that its time to load all their ass's up for a shot in the butt....BOOM, healthy happy dogs for another
six months.

Ohh BTW, you have to have a scrip for the NexGard, one cant just buy it over the counter like the topical meds.

Sprinkle Borax and vacuum every few days. The kennel we got our pups from said it is how they stay flea free. Boric acid is pretty effective against many insects.

Back