What's new
What's new

questions about cats in the machine shop

Jason H

Stainless
I have a serious problem with rats. This combined with the news that the plauge broke out in Denver, I need to take care of them. I have tried setting my own traps, using an exterminator, ultra strict rules on eating food in certain areas, but for the life of me, I can not get rid of the rats in my factory. Two days ago was the last straw when I came face to face with a rat that could have easily been a something the size of a small dog.

So some people went to the pound a rescued some soon to be executed cats. For those who have cats in their work area, what are some of the things I should be concerned with? Some areas are not always ultra clean from chips. Would this be of concern? Anything else that I need to know, I have always owned dogs. The ladies that picked them out will have them here tomorrow, so I need to move quickly.

Thanks

Jason

Rats may be too big for cats. A mid sized rat can back down a cat. Feral dogs, poodles and smaller terriers are great ratters. Don't feed then much and they will hunt for their supper. It might seem cruel but they are working dogs.

So are coyotes. If your shop is closed at night and you have a couple of hungry coyotes handy turn them loose in the shop. They will never be pets, can never be safely handled, and they will have to have a safe seeming refuge during the day but they will solve the rat problem.

So, if they were doomed to the executioner's axe, and you get them for however long they last with all that toxic stuff in your shop, and ALL the sharp cuttings, are they worse off, if they also get to catch a rat or 2, and live 5 years in your shop than they would be if they were axed tomorrow?

I would vote NO. Bring them home, don't feed them too much, keep them healthy and they will catch rats and bring them to you for approval.

Cats are very sensitive as to the pads on their feet. They get a milling machine sliver stuck, they will back off. Big stupid dogs will prance all over them chips and howl for a week about how they hurt from dancing all over them sharp needles.

All dogs are stupid, just that BIG dogs are more stupid than little ones.

I hate cats AND dogs.

Cheers,

George

at my old shop where i use to weld/fit at before i was a machinist, we just set traps after 2 years of 'dealing' with rats/mice..

the fridges were always safe from them and we all learnt to keep food out of the lockers...but when holes appeared in the lunch rooms' walls; that was enough.

me and the lead-hand went out and bought 20 traps..10 big ones, 10 small ones.....the smalls ones did nothing (1.5 by 3 inch sized)....but the larger ones were awesome (3 by 6 inch size)....those big ones splatter rat brains every were and launched them across the room....we had fun playing CSI in the mornings..

we killed aboot 50 over a week and a bit....then one or so a day we got...then nothing......two theories....we killed em all....or thinned out the gene pool, leaving the smaller rats to breed into super rats.....i didn't want to see the end result so i left the trade and started turning handles for a living

(side story, was unloading a truck at that shop one time, pulled off the trap, and out jumps this white rabbit, poor guy came all the way from Alberta)

We had a rat problem, but then the racoons ate 'em.

Trapped the coons and set them loose many miles away in a much less urban area.

Haven't seen the racoons since and traps keep the remaining rats under control.

get a couple of real good Jack Russell terriers. Your problems will be over, they are killing machines

No male cats. You haven't been irritated until you've had a cat piss all over a machine. Me, I'd go with traps and chemical warfare. It's all very well to imagine maintenance-free assassins working all night for you, but unless you love dogs or cats and enjoy them as pets they're a pain in the ass.

Jack

Oh, yeah, how good a shot are you? If you're seeing these things regularly, it's a shame not to be able to kill them on sight. You don't want .177 pellets bouncing around the place, or punching holes in a steel wall, but if you had one cornered you could off it with a pellet gun. Or set yourself up some evening with some bait, a suitable backstop, and a lawn chair.

Jack

Possums eat rats....JRouche

Oh yeah, cats. I like cats, independent, not needy like dogs. Dogs are good for pets.

You will need a cat box or two. Keep them scooped or the cats will piss and crap on the shop floor.

Keep lots of fresh water and a little dry food. No need to over feed them, cats don’t eat much. Or I should say don’t need much, they will eat lots, and get fat and lazy.

I would collar each of them. For ID tags and for the off chance you need to catch them again, a collar helps.

Male cats that are fixed pee like female cats, no spraying. As long as it is done early enough. Male cats fixed late in life will still wanna spray which sucks. I would opt for all fixed females.

Have a soft lounging area for them. Doesn’t have to be big, just kinda private so they can escape the 9-5 daily grind :D

I think a pair of cats may be just the thing for your shop. Good luck...JRouche

All 35 of us at the factory are pet lovers, and I am tired of seeing people having to deal with rat **** on their desks / machines. We went with two female cats and they got fixed today. Trust me that these cats will have a stellar time.

For a 10K square foot shop I am tossing out about 10-20 a week. I am hoping the smell of the cats will be enough to get rid of the rats.

Thanks for the recommendations, but the staff is about to but me in a bear trap over this problem. It was their recommendation and I will try anything at this point.

Please let me know if I need to be ultra clean in the machining area....

Thanks

Jason

Sure, I have a cat in my shop. She has lived there for twelve years now. No problem whatsoever. She comes and goes as she pleases, doesn't mind the machines, very comfortable with people, stays out of trouble... and catches rats in her spare time.

What was the question?

coyotes

You know what is really bizarre?
In my little town (about ll miles east of the old Convair facility Lindberg Field in San Diego),
We have a pair of coyotes trotting down my street every night.... about the same time.
in all the 35+ years I have lived here, I have never seen coyotes here. east county and the boonies would have 'em, but not here.
What is strange is their repeatability. As though they have schedule and path. Almost always going the same direction.
They seem docile, almost like a cat, they'll stop, look at ya, if you get their attention, then... move on. Right down the middle of the street.
How about it, anyone familiar with these animals?

Lizards, Possums, and Skunks have been the common animals in my suburb.

Another strange thing is bees.
About 1000 bees are found in the lumber house.
dead. Though their leader was Jim Jones.
This has happened at least twice in the same place, possibly 3 times in the past 4 years.

When it comes to getting rid of rats, nothing beats a bullsnake. Since you have the cats, don't starve them into catching thier own food. The cats will only kill what they need to eat. If they are well fed, they will kill for sport and often make presents of dead rats.

This has been a timely thread for me as I too have just acquired a cat for my shop. She's a little tiger cat and a real beauty. Jason got his cats fixed. Anybody know of any "how to" books for the do it yourselfer?

"how to" books for the do it yourselfer?

hmmm...an old friend...a farmer fixes his male
cats w/ a blanket, razor blade. he says you just
make a small cut , squeeze out 1 testicle, let the cat run away. no stitches or anything. same
as castrating a pig, i suppose.

females...get a vet.

Field expedient rodent control:

A ramp up to a glass container with stinky meat bait.

Rodent climbs the ramp, falls into the glass container, eats the bait, then can't get out. Glass Coke bottles were perfect for catching mice, they couldn't get the traction to get back out the neck. Rats and mice can get into any hole their skull can get into; their rib cage compresses. But they need traction to get out.

Fireld expedient roach control: Get a big nasty 25-to-life knife, the kind stupid people wear to bars. Get a nearly empty peanut butter jar. Stab the lid half a dozen times and put it in a quiet corner. When it gets heavy, throw it away,but do not take the lid off - the stench is incredible.

Roaches are 98% protein. Peanut butter is 98% protein. Roaches get in, but they can't get out.

My father used to own a 80,000 sq foot mill building in Utica. Part was built in 1830's, parts in the 1920s. Anyways rats were a problem at times [Pidgeons were a bigger problem]. Joe would encase rat poison in peanut butter, next morning the ball would be gone and he would be picking up dead rats for a few days. The peanut butter makes them take the ball back to the nest, the rat poison makes them come out looking for water so they don't rot in the walls. Believe me, you don't want to live with that smell!

TNMG...My "Old Farmer" said to lace yer tomcat up in a boot headfirst to do the deed. Been chucklin every since he told me that...mostly picturing what the man holding the cat would look like....

OMcG

Back