What's new
What's new

O.T. Victory motorcycles,,,,any good?

scrapdaddy

Aluminum
I am in the market for a motorcycle and want the cruiser style bike. I am thinking harley davidson but am keeping an open mind as to what to buy. I looked at the Victory but with a $19,000 price tag I see no advantage over HD. I also may be interested in the Honda VTX 1800cc.
Also Victory is made by Polaris.
Which of these three is the best bike for the money as far as reliability, resale and grin factor.

Reliability-Honda
Resale-HD
Grin factor-what blows your dress up?

Bob

My friend has had his Victory for 3 years now with no problems. Only one dealer around though. Good looking bike bike, runs really strong. The VTX 1800 is a bad boy, runs hard, Honda reliability. I had a Harley for years got tired of running a slow, unreliable, expensive bike and dealing with dealers who thought they are God. Got rid of it, ride a Honda now, good handling, reliable and good looking bike. Get compliments on it all the time. I know the lure to buy American is strong but I believe that Honda employs more people here in the states than HD. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

There is a Victory dealer not far from me, they have been selling alot of them. From what I have seen they have been working out well.
Some of the models have a nice look to them.
I have not had a chance to ride one yet.

The Victory line is significantly more modern regarding production standards and quality of engineering than the HD line, except the V-Rod, which is a pretty modern powertrain.

Victory has been producing MCs for enough years now that I don't think they are going to go boots-up in the foreseeable future, unlike the various attempts to resurrect Indian/Norton/etc.

Also, the bikes are built to be ridden, not just looked at. They're not high-tech show pieces, such as Confederate, which I love to look at (gasp, I just admitted publically that I like a cruiser!) but, aside from the cubic-dollar price tag, I just can't imagine riding for more than 30 minutes.

ScrapD, it's possible that you've overlooked one "axis" of interest in MC ownership: the culture of, and availability of customizing options. I like tinkering with bikes, and mostly build my own stuff (a hobby unto itself), but some folks prefer to bolt on stuff. That will be better supported for the HD than the Victory. This may or may not be a selling point for you, but bears examination.

Regarding "Smiles Per Hour", I have found that stepping downward in outright performance to a Dual Sport bike has been great fun. I notice that you're in Arizona: you certainly have the territory to use a DS bike! Maybe they're better as a second bike - you'll not want to ride it to LA & back. They can be had cheap.

Be wary of the VTX1800. One heavy son of a bitch! All the bike mags like the VTX1300 better. Lighter, more nimble, helluva lot easier to ride in traffic around town.
You can ride a Harley for 2 or 3 years, and sell it for about what you paid. I like Harleys, but they are way overpriced.
Riding a motorcycle is all about individualism. Almost everyone rides a Harley. What is individual about that?
I ride a Suzuki Volusia. Now the C50 Boulevard. An 805cc v-twin that is as big as a Harley or Honda VTX. The bike mags have loved this ride since it came out in 2001. Draws looks even more than a Harley will. Plenty of power, with upgradability. Rides and handles better than just about any cruiser on the road.
Let us know what you get!
Greg

Are you set on a V-twin? If so I'd look hard at Victory. They've really been on a roll lately. Sales are way up and the new models keep coming. Can't go wrong with any of the V-twin stuff now, it's all pretty good. I'd never consider performance a feature of any V-twin cruiser but that isn't really what they are made for either. If you want something different find a nice used Valkryie or a Triumph Rocket III. I can speak for the Valkryie and say it handles better than most cruisers and will leave them in it's dust too.

Too bad that bad boy Yami isn't coming to the US.

That looks totally badass! :D
I think the M50 Boulevard would have to go.

I find it funny all the factorys building bikes that look like Harleys, and its getting harder to tell them apart.
My take on it is, if you want a Harley get one, if you want something that performs and handles good, get something else, not a clone.

Member Rated:
posted 05-21-2007 07:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find it funny all the factorys building bikes that look like Harleys, and its getting harder to tell them apart.
My take on it is, if you want a Harley get one, if you want something that performs and handles good, get something else, not a clone.

like what?

Donie,
That is how I felt when I bought my M50. I could not really find a new bike that was what I wanted so I settled for what I got. It is a decent bike but not what I ultimatly want. Just another copy cat. I have ridden Harleys and don't have anything against them. I just don't care to have one.

I find it odd how the Japanese sold so many inline four standards in the 70s and 80s but now they are no longer available. I really don't like the cruiser stance. I am a tall lad and find it more fun to ride with my feet under me instead of out in front. Ultimately I want a modern CB900 with fuel injection and a comfy seat.
Oh and I want a V4 engine.

I will add that I rode a VTX1300 and it was a very nice ride. Much more comfy than my M50.

ARB The Japanese manufacturer's still make lot's of inline four's, Suzuki makes about eight if you count the crotch rocket's, Bandit's and naked bikes.
M50 zuke is a rehashed '01 Volusia with Marauder forks fenders mag wheels ect. I own both, good cruiser's for sure.In the two wheeled world the fastest H-D is still a slow motorcycle as I'm sure that you well know.

I've owned & ridden quite a few brands, both metric & American - all were fun to ride. Bought a Harley Electraglide in 2002, traded for a newer Electraglide in 2006. Got back 80% of the cost of the first bike after riding it four years & 30,000 miles :D

Nothing but a Harley sounds like a Harley, try as everyone else does to duplicate the sound. Reliability, since 1984, has been superb compared to the years before that. The newer models, since 1999, are even better. The newest 96 inch motor + 6 speed are a tough combination to beat in a cruiser.

As Racer Al said, there are thousands of available parts to customize any model Harley ... every Harley reflects the owner's personality. Park a hundred metric bikes together & they all look alike :eek:

People either love 'em or hate 'em. I'll never ride anything else.

----------------
Barry Milton

Back