What's new
What's new

Who has large VTL's

Close Work

Cast Iron
I am looking for machine shops in the south east which have a VTL with at least 10 ft. diameter capacity and CNC which allows a contoured (curved)surface to be machined. A good shop with air conditioning to hold reasonable temperature control for precision work is the kind of place I am looking for. Shops in the mid west might work also. Thanks for the help in advance.

Johnoder,
Thanks for the reply. I had not heard of that place. I can't believe this group doesn't know where a giant vertical lathe lives in the south or mid west. I have heard a place called Rememle in Minnesota has big machines in a nice shop. Seems there must be shops in Missouri or Florida but I haven't found them yet. How does NASA in Huntsville, Ala. get their big work done?

Also Machine Works Inc in Bryan TX - big CNC Farrel.

Owner is MBA who can invariably be found out in the shop in grubby overalls.

John

Go to Round Rock, Texas and ask if they have open time for you. We sent a 20 foot Grey VTL there some 20 years ago.

Used to be Texas Westinghouse. Might be something else, now. Poster elsewhere says the plant is still there.

Hey, I don't know what you do, but 10 foot AIN'T a GIANT VTL!!! Medium sized, at best.

Our biggest was 40 between the columns. Needed more, remove the columns and the girt and bolt a compound to the table, that was 30 foot, and bore about 50 foot.

Ah, well, guess everything is done "over there", don't know that some big machines might still be around in the US.

Cheers,

George

John,

Do they pay travel both ways? What kind is it, name, is what I mean. I probably ran it or fixed it, not thet particular one, but the same kind in my plant.

Nah, can't jeopardize my SS. Make too much, you are SOL. Gratuities, now, might be permissible. You know. Like tips?

This stock will go up, this stock will go down. The hell with 10 % ****. 5 bucks on your dinner bill. BUY XXX, you'll be rich in a year. Never heard that from anybody that didn't work out of a boiler room. Legit stock vendors don't tell you what to buy. Anything you want to buy is fine with them. A commission is a commission.

Cheers,

George

Closework,

I just scrolled up to the OP. You want airconditioned shop so you can get reasonably close work done.
Measuring instruments are calibrated when the instrument and the standard are at the same temperature.

So, when you take the 120 inch mic into the shop floor, you have to allow it to acclimatize, warm up, to match the workpiece.

I think you are asking too much, nay, being ridiculous, to ask that a hundred ton part, or a 10 ton part should be cut and maeasured in an air conitioned factory.

Ah, ****, more next time, gone to bed, real early, for me, for a change.

Cheers,

George

What kind is it, name, is what I mean.
Good question. I just recall a young friend at Tapco Enpro International talking about having to go over there and run it. (TE rents time on it)

John

I have been away on business and just checked in. Thanks for the replies. I looked at the place in Alabama exkennemetal suggested, they can do 78"max, not large enough. Couldn't find Production in Chicago, Jig Boring in Akron can do 78"max. Various problems with each of the ones I can find. Remmele in Minnesota can do it; I will work on getting them to quote. I know of some places in Calif. but they are pretty high priced. All the big shops with big VTL's are busy but I knew that. Still looking. Thanks for the help.

Back