What's new
What's new

Single flute countersink with 1/4" hex drive?

Garwood

Diamond
Anyone know where to get a Ford quality single lip countersink with a 1/4" hex shaft to use in a cordless impact?

Appears there's china junk on Amazon and Ebay, but my googling didn't come up with much else.

Thanks!

You're a machinist, right?

Buy one off the shelf and mill flats on the shank. BTDT :D

I'm going to end up making the goddamn things and then it'll turn into another product line and I already have enough shit going on to last me two lifetimes.

I'd rather someone else make them and I'll buy a dozen to start. Does Maritool make any HSS tools? Frank should make these.

Who else would buy them?

I have a few questions.

What the F' are you doing that you need flats on your countersink shaft?

And how the heck can you get a good countersink using an IMPACT drill?

I usually keep the clutches on my Dewalts(non-impact) on "not locked up". And from experimentation,
the # just below locked up is good for no more than 3.5 or 4 ft/lbs of torque.

Once in a great while, running a big countersink in the POS Dewalt drill chuck, I'll get a slip.
Usually it just needs a tweek and I'm good to go.

Is the fact that you are using an impact? (I still don't know why) pile driving the cutter
into the material and making you take a much larger cut than you should ever take?

Eliminate the impact part of it, and you won't need the hex shank.

Why the impact? I can't think of a reason why, but it doesn't mean that there isn't one.

I have a few questions.

What the F' are you doing that you need flats on your countersink shaft?

And how the heck can you get a good countersink using an IMPACT drill?

I usually keep the clutches on my Dewalts(non-impact) on "not locked up". And from experimentation,
the # just below locked up is good for no more than 3.5 or 4 ft/lbs of torque.

Once in a great while, running a big countersink in the POS Dewalt drill chuck, I'll get a slip.
Usually it just needs a tweek and I'm good to go.

Is the fact that you are using an impact? (I still don't know why) pile driving the cutter
into the material and making you take a much larger cut than you should ever take?

Eliminate the impact part of it, and you won't need the hex shank.

Why the impact? I can't think of a reason why, but it doesn't mean that there isn't one.

I don't use the impact feature at all, I just like how light and easy to use the 1/4" impact drivers are. With a single flute 90 countersink in a 20V Dewalt 1/4" impact it's just a single rotation at low speed and the hole is perfect.

Convenience, nothing at all to do with the impact part of it.

Honestly, I finally killed the Dewalt 18V drill I bought new 20 years ago and I don't want to go shell out $150 for a cordless for the sole function of spinning a countersink a few times a day.

Never seen one, but I do understand your desire for the MAF unit.

I want nothing to do with any other countersink.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Sutton tools make 1/4 hex drive 3 flute countersinks here in Australia but not the single flute style.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I went through a similar search a little while ago. I wanted a better, faster way to deburr holes in parts. I could not find anything other then the imported E-bay and internet stuff. You can get a whole set there for less than the price of one Ford CS. Naturally, I did not bite.

Although the idea of a (battery) powered drill at the drill press and mill appeals to me, I would be happy just having a ratchet handle screwdriver with a set of countersinks at each. The hex shank is for quick changes since the individual countersinks only cover a certain range of hole sizes. I figure that at least three sizes would be desirable.

What I wound up with was some single sized, single flute countersinks that are mounted in screwdriver style handles. They are not easily interchangeable and they do not have a ratchet. I am trying that idea out now. The technique that I am being dragged into is to hold the part in my left hand and resting the round end of the countersink tool against my chest while turning it with my right hand. Far from the best, but it does seem to work. I don't know how my chest will feel if I have to do 100 holes in a row.

I was going to show the item I purchased but it seems they have been discontinued.

I did find some hex shank CSs at McMaster. They are three flutes, not one. And McMaster does not provide any brand names on things like this but I have never been disappointed in any tools that I purchased from them.

McMaster-Carr

We use an M.A. Ford 61100002 1.000" single flute with a .500" shank in a regular cordless drill for chamfering holes off our waterjet (easier to control speed etc.. than any impact I have used). We keep a .500"/.750"/1.000" variant in stock at all times. If you are slipping in the chuck, fuse a piece of wire fast to the shank to prevent spinning. I've probably countersunk a few hundred thousand holes in stainless/steel this way. Obviously if a large chamfer is needed it goes in a machine, or if it is a fully machined part.

But if you really want a hex shank and to use an impact, I would probably make an adapter because that is not something I've come across on quality countersinks.

Possibly a dump question but what is the proper way to grind one of the MA style single flute countersinks, without a specialized tool grinder? Do you grind the outside like a drill or inside the cutout?

Just email MAFord and tell them what you want. If you buy ten, you'll probably barely notice the increase in price. They're very easy to work with, and very happy to do customs without huge up charges.

I just use the side of a grinding wheel in the flute. Don't grind the outside, grind under the cutting edge.

Possibly a dump question but what is the proper way to grind one of the MA style single flute countersinks, without a specialized tool grinder? Do you grind the outside like a drill or inside the cutout?

I have a MA Ford Unicam grinding fixture I use on the surface grinder. They still sell them, but unless you're sharpening them on a regular basis you'd be better off just replacing the countersinks.

Here's a link to a company that sells them:
M.A Ford Unicam Series 65 Resharpening Fixture

They've gone up in price considerably since I bought mine. The price from the company I linked is a little over $280.00 I think I paid around $50.00 for it new.

IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0573.JPG

Back