Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sea Farmer is offline Titanium

Default Oil gun for zerk fitings

I have a round ram Bridgeport with zerk fittings on the ways. As discussed here Grease for Old Bridgeport Ways
    it needs an oil gun with zerk fittings. Not a grease gun.
    I've never seen one. Anyone got a source? Can I convert a grease gun?

This has been discussed a few times. Try a search in the Bridgeport section.

McMaster-Carr has two versions. I bought the more expensive one (~$45 IIRC) and did not like it.

The problem with a grease gun conversion is obtaining an adequate seal so most of the oil stays in the gun or the mill, rather than on your hands and the floor.

My suggestion to the same question in a recent thread was to install a Bijur lube system. All of the shop mills I've used (as opposed to personal hobby mills) have had these installed and they work fine.

- Leigh

jimboggs is offline Stainless

Leigh,

Could you specify whether it was a "conversion" (kit or otherwise) or a gun made especially for the task. I've wondered about these too (the zerks), though I've yet to run across one (yet). Just trying to clear up whether it was the conversion you were unhappy with, or a new tool made specifically for the task.

Thanks,
    Jim

mnl
    mnl is offline Aluminum

Leigh,

Could you please be more specific about the McMaster version. I have an Aciera mill that requires an oil gun. I have not been happy with a grease gun conversion I did because of the perennial leaking problem and had been thinking about getting one.

--Michael

S_W_Bausch is offline Diamond

If it's a standard zerk that is the connection, you could buy a flexible line with zerk coupler attached, and put that on whatever you want, either a pressurized container or something with a pump.

You could simply put the coupler on an air cylinder, and use it as a syringe, or air up the other side of the cylinder as force-feed.

There is another, more "dangerous" way.

Electric motors have either of two dissimiliar greases for their bearings; when the maintenance department guesses wrong on grease, the greases mix and they turn runny.

So in your case:

Have two grease guns, pump a stroke of each type grease, and hope for the best.

I don't recommend it, too much at risk.

Forestgnome is offline Stainless

They also make a needle you can use in a zerk. They fit tight enough to force in grease. It might help prevent oil flowing everywhere. They're used in tight locations where a standard coupler won't fit. I'ld bet Napa has them. Again, you'ld still have to adapt to an oil can somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboggs View Post
    Could you specify whether it was a "conversion" (kit or otherwise) or a gun made especially for the task.
    Hi Jim,

The one I bought was purpose-built as an oil gun with a Zerk fitting, made in Germany. I can't gripe about the quality. Seemed like a decent piece. I just didn't like the way it worked, for whatever reason. YMMV

The reservoir arrangement and dispensing components were totally different from a grease gun.

It's #1879K48 on catalog page 2177 www.mcmaster.com

- Leigh

Is there any reason why one can't replace the zerks with oil-hole covers?

I suspect the fitting is 'downhill' of the gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by S_W_Bausch View Post
    I suspect the fitting is 'downhill' of the gallery.
    That's what i was afraid of

AIR-O-LATOR is offline Aluminum

Try Alemite 4035 lever oil gun.

jimboggs is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by The real Leigh View Post
    Hi Jim,

The one I bought was purpose-built as an oil gun with a Zerk fitting, made in Germany. I can't gripe about the quality. Seemed like a decent piece. I just didn't like the way it worked, for whatever reason. YMMV

The reservoir arrangement and dispensing components were totally different from a grease gun.

It's #1879K48 on catalog page 2177 www.mcmaster.com

- Leigh
    Thanks Leigh,

Sure to run into this problem eventually. Always adding to the database.

Jim

st44109 is offline Plastic

I converted a greasegun and have good luck with it on my Millrite. Will try to find the link for the convertion I used.

eng4turns is offline Aluminum

I converted a $10 grease gun purchased at Tractor Supply. The only place it leaks is from the zerk coupling itself so I hang it up with that end up. If you take the thing apart, it's pretty obvious what needs sealing. You have to remove the plunger handle and throw it away. Then a combination of rubber plugs, sealant and teflon tape gets you there.

When I fill it, I apply new teflon tape and teflon-based pipe dope to the threads.

Ed in Florida

Edster is offline Titanium

When I had a bridgeport with the zerks I used the McMaster-Carr oil gun Leigh posted the link for. It worked fine in my opinion.

skypilot_one is offline Plastic

I purchased a Bridgeport J head from the original owner, an experienced machinist. It has zerk fittings and he lubed it with lubriplate grease. The ways are in good condition (still have original scrape marks) the table and knee move easily and the lead screws have very little backlash. I believe the original manual that came with the machine specifies grease. I'll check it tomorrow.

nt1953 is offline Cast Iron

Specialty Series - Alemite

I use model 4035 for grease, but it was made for oil. I like it for grease because it doesn't leak, and never gets locked up with air. Works every time.

NJ_Toolnut is offline Aluminum

Default Alemite 4035

Niel,

How much did your Alemite 4035 oiler cost?

In addition (but off topic), thanks very much for the 2J collets I bought from you last summer. Their quality exceeded my expectations and they were superbly packaged.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by NJ_Toolnut View Post
    How much did your Alemite 4035 oiler cost?
    This __may__ be the gun that McMaster sells for $144 under their catalog #1879K21, listed just below the one I noted earlier.

That price is slightly LOWER than other prices that Google found for the 4035.

- Leigh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast