What's new
What's new

Oil hole needed in bronze bushing?

GeoD

Aluminum
I am cleaning up an older large mill vise by made by Van Norman. One of the oil Zerks is meant to feed the (probably) bronze bushing that supports the handle end of the steel screw that tightens the vise jaws. Upon dis assembly I see there is no hole at all in the bronze bushing that would allow oil put into the Zerk to reach the steel shaft of the screw. Even if this was originally porous bronze it now seems burnished and thus sealed off.

Should I add a hole to the bushing or any reason why not?

Thank you,
Regards,
GeoD

George,

If you don't poke a hole through the bushing It will be tough to lube..yeah! I have seen bushings smear a oil hold completely closed with gunk and brass/bronze dust. It doesn't look like there is a hole but if you pull the Zerk and shove a awl or something through the hole...presto, it's there! If it isn't...drill one, no reason not to.

Stuart

Thank you all for your replies. Never crossed my mind there could be a hole filled in with bronze dust. My attitude toward these things is to avoid being like Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom.. I know there may be many things I don't know and don't want to step in some subtle trap. The original builders of machines had skills it would take the rest of my life to learn.

Back