What's new
What's new

Okuma manual lathe opinions, also parts availability

Long Tom

Stainless
First off, happy holidays one and all to the fine denizens of PM. Salute!

There's a 14x36 Okuma manual lathe at a dealer near me. $7k asking. It's been cosmetically cleaned up to perfection, but I have not yet assessed the mechanical condition of the machine. I'm looking for a smaller machine to pair with my 17x40 Whacheon. I really like Japanese hardware.

First off- is this as good a machine as I'm thinking? Generally speaking of course. Second, anyone know if partsare at all available still on these? That was a big plus for the Whacheon and in fact paid off big when I crashed it and twisted the pinion shaft. The part was very expensive, but it was available.

I do a lot of small shaft work at relatively high precision. The Whacheon gets it done, but it'd be nice to be spinning less mass.

Thoughts? Should I hold out for an HLV?

Dan Lewis has screwed a lot of people over. I think All Machine Sales is his business name this week.

The couple Okuma manual lathes I have seen struck me as well made and a little beefier than a Mori type machine.

I wouldn't be surprised if an Okuma 14x36 is the same size as your 17x40 Mori clone.

It's not; it's a 3000-lb machine vs. 4800 lbs. I can tell by looking at it on my iPhone screen, too. But to your point, it's got a 2000 rpm top speed, just like the Whacheon, so it's a valid question whether it really adds anything I don't already have. Well.... other than a machine to set up for collets and then just leave that way. I get tired, literally, of swapping chucks around on the Whacheon.

Edit to add: care to expand on what you've heard about Dan?

He took me twice. Misrepresented a machine and later failed to send any of the tooling and manuals that I purchased with a second machine. He refused to communicate for months. I gave up and bought the missing parts I needed elsewhere.

He's done the same and worse to lots of other people in the Portland area.

Back