What's new
What's new

Old American Milling Machine Identification Help

brianbel

Plastic
I bought this a few weeks ago and am trying to figure out who made it. It is a small freestanding milling machine with no manufacturer information anywhere. The motor and motor mount are obviously not original (actually whoever fabricated the motor mount did a really nice job). Perhaps this thing was being thrown out at one point and someone rescued it. The gentleman I brought it from inherited from his grandfather who passed away and knew next to nothing about it. The machine came with a milling vise. I was able to clean up and lubricate the table to get it moving smooth in the x direction. I figured it would be perfect for the things I want to machine and small enough not to be a total hassle to move. I paid $500 for it, which is probably too much, but I was in no position to haggle on price as I drove all the way down to Long Island with my father and his trailer to pick the thing up. I figured I would never see another one like it in my life, at least not for sale close enough for me to buy. I’ve searched the internet for pictures, but have had no luck finding one identical. It looks highly similar to a “Garvin” milling machine considering the base / column, but I find it strange there would be no maker mark. There is also an articulated knuckle on the right side of the machine that I assume at one point was an auto feed. Any information or advice on where else I might look would be appreciated. The last picture is a Garvin that looks similar. The spindle taper seems to measure as follows 0.8125 small end, 0.9375 large end, 2.5625 length. Any way to figure out what type of tooling I need to purchase based on those measurements? It came with various homemade drawbars and I could always make more as I formerly welded for a living. I've used taper calculators online and the closest it comes out to its a No. 5 (of what name I don't know). Any advice would be appreciated regarding the spindle taper. I'm most concerned about figuring out which kind of collets or end mill holders I will need to purchase. The machine came with some serious shell mill type cutters, but none of the arbors it came with seem to work with the spindle taper aside from the one I measured. There is no internal keyway in the spindle. Thanks in advance for any help. Hope the pictures load correctly.

mill1.jpg
mill2.jpg
mill4.jpg
garvin.jpg

Back