What's new
What's new

OT - Metalworking Dropbox Photos

matt_isserstedt

Diamond
I probably missed something here. Back in the days of 8-10 years ago I had a lot of photos posted in the dropbox, it would appear the domain has been sold and all content lost. I'm not heartbroken as it was free, but there was a fair bit of potentially useful things there I would spend the time to recover if it was moved, redirected, etc.

Also if Milacron stops in, I was curious what happened to the "blog" posts of long ago, likely a feature of an older issue of vB? They too may be lost, which is fine, but no complaints, but I will stop looking for them then too :)

I probably missed something here. Back in the days of 8-10 years ago I had a lot of photos posted in the dropbox, it would appear the domain has been sold and all content lost. I'm not heartbroken as it was free, but there was a fair bit of potentially useful things there I would spend the time to recover if it was moved, redirected, etc.

Also if Milacron stops in, I was curious what happened to the "blog" posts of long ago, likely a feature of an older issue of vB? They too may be lost, which is fine, but no complaints, but I will stop looking for them then too :)

Hi, Matt. In cases like this, the Web archive is your friend. Start at archive.org and voila e.g.:
metalworking.com - /DropBox/

metalmagpie

Since the public provided all the content in this site I guess its OK to mention an easy way to bulk-download all the metalworking files at once:
For those who want the entire collection of files, retired files folders included, in case that site goes away or is sold, use this app to download the entire website
in one go:
HTTrack
HTTrack Website Copier - Free Software Offline Browser (GNU GPL)
its an excellent and very useful free application.

1)
Install and run it
2)
hit NEXT to create a new project
3)
give the new project a name and specify category
configure the download folder to put files in
hit NEXT
4)
add the source URL to download files and folders from:
either just add the URL: mwdropbox.com/dropbox
(This is the file archive section: mwdropbox.com/dropbox
adding just http://mwdropbox.com won't get you there.)
to the Web Address (URL) box
or click on "add URL" to fill out the form with URL, login and pw
in case authentication is needed (i.e. you're backing up your own website or one you maintain for someone else)
5)
Click on NEXT and initiate the download process

HTTrack configuration details required to fetch mw.com dropbox files:
After setting up the job and when at the add URL page you will need to set the preferences and mirror options or "Set Options":
1)
In the "scan rules" configuration page check the three file types boxes under the line with "Example:" in it.
2)
In the "spider" configuration page change, only, the spider rules from "follow robots.txt rules" to "no robots.txt rules"

Downloads will now work.

Last edited:
There can be a 'gotcha' with the use of a website downloaded and archived with HTTrack. I use HTTrack with a CAD user group that was going away. It turned out that the search feature apparently used a search engine external to the website and no longer functioned in my downloaded archive rendering it impossible to find anything in the archive. If someone knows of an easy way around this I would be eager to hear of it.

David Merrilll

there can be a 'gotcha' with the use of a website downloaded and archived with httrack. I use httrack with a cad user group that was going away. It turned out that the search feature apparently used a search engine external to the website and no longer functioned in my downloaded archive rendering it impossible to find anything in the archive. If someone knows of an easy way around this i would be eager to hear of it.

David merrilll

ctrl f ?

There can be a 'gotcha' with the use of a website downloaded and archived with HTTrack. I use HTTrack with a CAD user group that was going away. It turned out that the search feature apparently used a search engine external to the website and no longer functioned in my downloaded archive rendering it impossible to find anything in the archive. If someone knows of an easy way around this I would be eager to hear of it.

David Merrilll

MWDropBox.com - Home page is a simple Unix filesystem. HTTrack has no problem fetching all folders and files with publically readable permissions.
Your CAD user group website should have a similar filesystem; I assume that what you need is the data contained therein. Just go to the root website url and
fetch the world readable files and folders. What does the search engine have to do with access to that data?

See the edits to my original post; maybe this will help you with your CAD group downloads.

What does ctrl-f do?

The coverage on that archive site is spotty. Some files come up with "cannot find", or "we don't have that file" errors, others are OK.

Back