What's new
What's new

Old Strands Drill Perss wiring question

Trollerudjan

Aluminum
Hello Folks,

I haven't been here in yrs due to family and life in general.
I have newly bought an old Strands drill press very similar to the one Andy St posted only mine is shorter and the foot stand has Tee slots.... no table. From what I can tell I have a Strands CS-30-3

My question is....
The switch is missing and I need help with a wiring diagram for the 6 leads coming out of the stator. I gather this is a pole change motor with two speeds.
I Have been in direct contact with Strands in Sweden but they were unable to help with this 50 yr old beast.
Maybe someone that has one could check their switch and give me a hoot.

Thanks
Jan

Anybody with any info please chime in.

Hi Jan
If you have 6 wires and it's a pole change motor, you probably have a multiple stator motor and you should proceed as follows to identify the wiring connections.
Use a multimeter to identify the two groups of stator coils ie connect one lead of the meter to one wire and then find the two others that give a low ohms reading and mark them.
Repeat for the remaining 3 wires to make sure they also show a low ohm connection group.
Originally, this would probably have a drum switch with an OFF, LOW and HIGH speed setting - this could be difficu;t to source.

Initially, connect one group of wires through a contactor or a 3 pole switch of suitable rating and apply power. Note the direction of rotation and if incorrect, swap over two of the stator wires to correct this and then mark the RYB sequence on them.

Repeat for the other group, getting the correct rotation, and then decide which group gave the higher motor speed and mark the groups accordingly.

If you don't get group continuity, then you may have a motor issue and probably not worth proceeding with the search for a switch.

If you can get the motor to run at a single speed that you're happy with you can at least get use from the machine until you get a drum switch sorted out.

Just be very careful during your testing.
Best wishes
Jack

Hey there,
I'm still working on this one... we got the wiring figued out but still need the switch. My electritian is a snow bird so I will have to wait a few more months to get it done... in the mean time she hums away in low speed. Great little machine! when all is finally connected I will post more details

jan

Hey there,
I'm still working on this one... we got the wiring figued out but still need the switch. My electritian is a snow bird so I will have to wait a few more months to get it done... in the mean time she hums away in low speed. Great little machine! when all is finally connected I will post more details

jan

Kraus-Naimer and Sontheimer would be good candidates to look for 2-speed Dahlander switch.

pg 26 for example:
http://tuoteluettelo.hedtec.fi/tuotekuvat/e38824
or
http://www.krausnaimer.fi/Pdfcat/Technical Catalog 2008.pdf
Kraus&Naimer Off-load switch [CA4 A441-6 E] - elektrotools.de

Hey guys,

Thanks! as I understand there are two types of Dahlander switches....
Andy S. yes please on the switch details.

Thanks for the links Mattij!

maybe I don't have to wait for my sparky to return after all... :)

bought a Strands s32 me, had to drive 600 miles there and back, it was listed as NO ISSUES by the auctioneer,
however the auto feeder swich was broken and i cannot find a replacement
so i cut the 3 socket plug off and joined the three wires together, in doing so i broke the limit micro swith, that switch is easy to find, meanwhile the feed motor runs all the time
i tried the makers and Roberts in Canada, but they had no stock
i found out the drill is quiet and powerful

Attachments

• 9834036.jpg
    9834036.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 9

Back