What's new
What's new

Online McMaster Catalog Problems

projectnut

Stainless
Has anyone else had problems staying connected to the online version of the McMaster-Carr catalog? Yesterday I was doing some research on fasteners trying of make an order. Before I could complete the research a message came on the screen indicating that I was being disconnected from the site for a period of one hour. Apparently I had stayed on the site longer than allowed and was being disconnected "to protect sensitive information". Fortunately the 1 hour disconnect time period ended before the 2:30 PM (CST) deadline for next day delivery passed.

In all the years I've been doing business with this company this is the first time I've been disconnected for any reason. Today when I wrote them asking for a printed version of the catalog to avoid further problems I was denied. I was rather referred to using an app for I phones or tablets. I have no idea if accessing the online catalog via phone or tablet will also have time limits. I do know I would much prefer to use my computer with the larger screen and keyboard than trying to read the catalog and try to make an order from my phone. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I think McM has had this policy in place to prevent wholesale "data mining" of their website to prevent copy cats or other companies using the pricing data. Yes, it's a pain, but my orders are small enough I rarely have an issue.

I responded to the McMaster e mail asking how to remain connected with the website rather than resort to using an I phone for ordering. They in turn responded by suggesting I begin the session by logging in rather than doing research then logging in to order. Apparently the connection time frame is extended for logged in users. I assume that at sometime logged in or not I will be automatically disconnected if I do not complete an order in a preset amount of time

You also have to have cookies enabled in order to browse more then 5 items, I think. It will not search for the next item until you enable. They are very sensitive about some things. I pick up items in person frequently at the Aurora, Ohio location, a huge building. I was talking with one clerk about the building and he stated they cannot tell people the size of the building, it is classified. I told him I could just go on Google and measure it using their scaling tools. Probably turned me in.

Dennis

Slight thread drift......
I'm in mid Michigan and always ( well at least the last ten years ) got my orders
the next day via UPS ground. I can't remember the last time I did a order and
did not have it next day.
Sometime in maybe September of 2017 McMaster switched to Fedex ground.....now usually
always two days....Fedex driver has nerve enough to tell me the packages are supposed
to be here in one day.....grrrrrgh!
Anybody else in Michigan seeing this or is it just a shitty Fedex terminal?
Dave

Just log in, things will stay in your cart indefinitely. You can also save orders for later if you need to start a separate cart for any reason.

I stay logged in all the time and it never kicks me off. I've had a McMaster tab open on my browser for months.

I stay logged in all the time and it never kicks me off. I've had a McMaster tab open on my browser for months.

I'm not sure how long I was on the site before I got kicked out. It was probably around 20 minutes. I was looking for fasteners and wanted to get some with enough strength to hold moving parts on cycling Thomson bearings. I was also looking for different aluminum alloy plates.

As far as being logged in I think there are different levels. I generally remain logged in but that only allows access for searching multiple products. I can put things in my cart, but when I actually go to make an order I have to resubmit my password. In our area we have to submit an order by 2:30 pm central time for next day delivery. Any order submitted after 2:30 pm isn't processed until the following day, so it becomes 2 days between submitting the order and delivery. Any order submitted after 2:30 on a Friday doesn't get processed until the following Monday so it becomes a Tuesday delivery.

I think they've been swamped, All you greasy fingernailed knuckle draggers,have been ordering
endmills and stainless nuts and bolts for your lady friends;For Valentines day. Has anyone else been to the Aurora Oh. facility? Their building a huge new building on Rt.43, Just about at the Streetsboro Border. I haven't been able to find out much about it, Everyone's pretty hush-hush. Dave [acme thread]

Going to will call tomorrow in Aurora The new building on 43 is huge for sure. Trying to decide if it is bigger than the current one. If you noticed, they don't even have their name on the building. IMO they are the best !

I found an identified MMC facility on Rt 43.

Google Maps

Is this the new one or an existing one? There seems to be a vacant area on the other side of Rt43, about a block to the South.

I think they've been swamped, All you greasy fingernailed knuckle draggers,have been ordering
endmills and stainless nuts and bolts for your lady friends;For Valentines day. Has anyone else been to the Aurora Oh. facility? Their building a huge new building on Rt.43, Just about at the Streetsboro Border. I haven't been able to find out much about it, Everyone's pretty hush-hush. Dave [acme thread]

To in airport PA announcements beginning "For your convenience..." I mentally add "...we are going to thoroughly screw up your travel plans." Never fails o come true.

The same mindset seems to be taking root in e-commerce. One is expected to decide quickly and buy. No browsing, comparison shopping, deferred decisions, or queries of quality, country of origin, sale assistance for discussion of product merits, etc allowed. You are a consuming unit: so consume already.

I have used McMaster a lot over the last 15-20 years, and have nothing bad to report, however, the shipping carrier arrangements are sometimes negotiable, and sometimes also related to the specific carrier and your location. I was buying for a few years from one company address, where we received overnight delivery routinely via OnTrac service (McM site in Calif to Ariz.), We changed locations, to about 1/2 mile away, and all of a sudden, everything was getting delivered in 2 days via FedEx. Turns out, we crossed a zip code boundary in our move, and OnTrac service was not available in the new zip code area. Annoying, to say the least.

In my new company, we were getting UPS service, typically two days, for McM orders. The company is ocated on the opposite end of town from previous ventures. I endured that for a while, but recently called them up to request OnTrac service to our location, since I had seen their delivery vehicles in the neighborhood. McMaster said "Sure". Now we get overnight delivery again;-)

Moral of story: Never hurts to ask.

Just how do you find out what the deadlines are for one day, two day, etc. service? Ask McMaster? Or ask the delivery company? Or what?

I generally get two day delivery from them. But I often order late at night, past midnight so I am counting from the actual day of the order: Tuesday at 2:00 AM = Thursday delivery, usually after 6PM. That's really a bit more than 2 1/2 days but they would call it "two day delivery".

To in airport PA announcements beginning "For your convenience..." I mentally add "...we are going to thoroughly screw up your travel plans." Never fails o come true.

The same mindset seems to be taking root in e-commerce. One is expected to decide quickly and buy. No browsing, comparison shopping, deferred decisions, or queries of quality, country of origin, sale assistance for discussion of product merits, etc allowed. You are a consuming unit: so consume already.

I don't think that's a fair assessment of McM, their customer service is unparalleled. Any inquiry I've had about part origin has been answered by courteous staff, and their return policy is excellent. Still my "go to" company for the majority of shop purchases.

Just how do you find out what the deadlines are for one day, two day, etc. service? Ask McMaster? Or ask the delivery company? Or what?

I generally get two day delivery from them. But I often order late at night, past midnight so I am counting from the actual day of the order: Tuesday at 2:00 AM = Thursday delivery, usually after 6PM. That's really a bit more than 2 1/2 days but they would call it "two day delivery".

This is a combination of several contributors, as I see it: your location and how that relates to where the carrier terminal is located, the business arrangements McM has with said carrier, and cutoff time as related to getting it on the carrier of interest. McM is the place to ask the question to start. Depending on the info you get, a call to the carrier may get you additional (or different) info.

I found in my previous experiences, that I could order as late as 6 pm and routinely get next-day delivery via OnTrac. If I recall correctly, I think getting parts out by FedEx was different in terms of cutoff for leaving their facility.

Slight thread drift......
I'm in mid Michigan and always ( well at least the last ten years ) got my orders
the next day via UPS ground. I can't remember the last time I did a order and
did not have it next day.
Sometime in maybe September of 2017 McMaster switched to Fedex ground.....now usually
always two days....Fedex driver has nerve enough to tell me the packages are supposed
to be here in one day.....grrrrrgh!
Anybody else in Michigan seeing this or is it just a shitty Fedex terminal?
Dave

Same thing happened to me a year or so ago. UPS always got it to me the next day. When it was switched to FedEx, it would take 2 or more days. Sometimes FedEx would mis-route it to New England instead of down to Maryland and back up to me in PA. I complained to McMaster about the lousy FedEx service when I had to reorder an urgent item because FedEx had it going in the wrong direction. McMaster switched the shipping service for my account back to UPS. No more problems. Also, the FedEx drivers in my area are unprofessional. The UPS driver is friendly and professional.

Bill

Back