What's new
What's new

Opinions on a CNMG "recycling" face mill like Dorian REC15?

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
My specific situation (remote with no mail service, making it difficult to get new supplies) made me really interested in the idea of using the other four cutting edges of the diamond inserts I'm going to turn with.

It looks like this kind of setup might be a good fit. Anyone have any first hand experience? I'm sure in a shop billing their time by the hour it's worth the cost of using the most efficient insert - but for a guy just trying to get the most out of each insert, does one of these make sense? I'm inclined to go for it unless someone has a good reason not to. I realized I can't use it to mill to a shoulder, but for general face roughing (on a 1.5hp Cincinnati Toolmaster MT) does the 2" model seem like it'll be useful? I have other face mills for better final finishes, but in terms of using excess carbide edges, how does this look?

Not sure if we're allowed to link to amazon, but they have the model with pictures there (Dorian REC15 or REC15A)

I have used that style utilizing the 100 degree corners. It will beat the hell out of a knee mill. Those inserts don't have a great milling geometry.

I don't know about using them in facemills, but years ago we had a home-made turning tool that used the 'other' edge of CNMG's.

It was a good thing for blasting stock off of faces - I remember it worked particularly well on intermittent cuts on cast parts.

There are standard off-the-shelf turning tools which use the 100º corners of a CNMG insert. One is for facing, the other for O.D. roughing.

aerodark is correct in that turning insert geometry isn't great for milling, and the same can be said for the grades. Milling grades have higher toughness for the inherent interrupted cutting action of milling. Sure there are some turning grades for interrupted cuts, but those aren't likely in abundance when you have a 6-insert milling cutter to fill. ;)

Better to get the MCKNR and/or MCRNR holders and use them up on the lathe as intended.

Years ago on a boring mill I had to face mill some large stainless forgings. It was during a slow time so they wouldn't buy inserts fast enough to keep up so I found a 6" face mill like your are talking about. We hammered that face mill and used up Hundreds of edges from old inserts. It didn't have the best cutting action but the machine was strong enough to plow thru. . Myself I would get the Lathe holder stated above and so you could use up some of your edges. Face milling with those edges isn't the best application for the inserts, you will pound your machine to death unless you have a big strong machine like boring mill.

Yes I have both of the holders for turning using the other edges. Both of them work great. As far as the milling holder never used one, as some have said it beats the mill around alot. But pending on what depth of cut and how fast you want to mill. I would think that you can get some work done with one, just not at a fast rate so you don't beat your mill apart.

A guy I work with has a toolholder that uses the "other" edges of APKT inserts. I works well on a bridgeport. I think it's about 3 dia.
I'd like to find one. No numbers or mfg on his. Anyone have a source.
Dave

I use these cnmg inserts (100 degree corners 431/432) for turning, facing and boring- mainly for knocking the rough off torch cut plate ( I make a lot of large bearing and seal retainers and carriers, sheaves, etc) these work exceptionally well. When I use them in a mill application, my bridgeports, Cinci #2 & #3 don't care for them, the #4 cinci and Lucas HBM do fine - for a lathe insert in mill - high consumption moderate production- My employees say that I'm "economically disciplined" I think of myself as tight fisted... and squeeze what I can out of the tooling I have.

Thanks for the input, everyone - that's exactly what I needed. Lots of ideas sound good and then don't work so well in reality. I understand what you're saying about the interrupted cuts and geometry not being quite right. Given that the insert edges are free, I would be inclined to say "whatever life you get from them is a bonus", but there's also the reality of beating on a mill that's not big enough to take it. My Cinci Toolmaster MT is beefier than a BP1, but nothing like the #4 Cinci shutinlead is talking about. So, it seems like a "save the mill" kind of situation.

CarbideBob - though my feet are in Imlay City for the month, my equipment and work are all in (or headed to) an underdeveloped country in West Africa where my shop is a small school and builds things to help other aid organizations - like a project we're working on right now to make equipment for a drinking water filter factory there in Africa to help combat water borne diseases. So I scour auctions here to get equipment to send over there. While the stuff is plentiful here, once the shipping container leaves, I can't get anything other than what I can ask people flying over to bring. Plus, I kind of like having a shop all the way over there full of old Michigan iron. A Wells bandsaw, Clausing DP, etc.

Back