What's new
What's new

Opposite of V-Groove Wheel?

LGSwensen

Plastic
HI, I'm designing something that needs the opposite of a V-Groove wheel profile. I am having trouble finding out the name of this wheel profiled. I'm okay having custom wheels made if this is not actually a thing, but if someone already makes them then that's less work I have to do. Anyone know if this wheel profile has a name?Opposites of V-groove.JPGOpposites of V-groove 2.JPG

I don't have a better search term than "V wheel", but that pulls up a lot of stuff, including V-groove wheels.

But here's a product that looks a lot like your drawing. Apparently OpenBuilds makes them for home-built CNC gantries for use with extrusions and they are sold all over the place as "solid V wheel".

If you can't find what you need, you can always machine your own and press them on to standard bearings. Or start with a cheap conveyor wheel or urethane molded bearing and grind/machine the corners off.

And, depending on your requirements, you might be able to run off the outside surfaces of a conventional V-groove wheel, as almost all of them have slanted outer-most, as well as inner-most, surfaces.

Wouldn't wheels with that profile be unstable and constantly riding up the sides of the groove they run in?. You might be better off with something similar to train tracks. I see the link sfriedberg provided relies on opposing grooves and wheels to work.

I don't know what you're designing, but I know from experience (not my design) that wheels of that shape running on a track of that shape are a nightmare for trapping dirt and debris, which can cause more problems and grief than a man deserves.

Back