What's new
What's new

OT: Today I turned 30. Looking for advice.

apestate

Stainless
Hi guys

It's my *birthday* !!! I just turned 30 about an hour ago.

So far it's mmmmmmm, O.K.... but I'd like to make it better. The hope is the forum here will have some advice on how to keep organized in the shop, record information by taking notes or using setup sheets, or how to stop worrying about this crap and just make parts.

I work in little custom motorcycle shop which has some real talent, awesome gorgeous bikes, fantastic artwork. People here don't care how much time it takes me to do anything, as long as it looks fantastic. I love it. I'm the only machinist and we've got a new Doosan Lynx (love it) and a Milltronics RW15 (ok, I'll use it). We make parts people can add on to their bikes and parts for our own custom bikes and frames.

I'm solely responsible for my area and lately I've noticed that I'm an utter slob with zero ambition for organizing and recording and cleaning stuff :X

Anybody got some good general tips on how to get on the ball here ?

:>

Instead of patting yourself on the back, think of it this way. The boss talked to a guy yesterday that does better work for less and is a champ organizer and neat freak, comes early, stays late, and does way more than is expected.

When he has a minute, he is studying up, not goofing off.

John Oder

HAHA you're old. You do realize that tomorrow morning as your first day in your 30's you will wake up to a pile of YOUR hair on the pillow and your pants won't fit, then your feet will hurt all day, and when you get home you'll yell at the kids next door and call them "goddamn wippersnappers", then you'll have your glass of prune juice and be in bed by 7 while listening to Paul Harvey.

Actually its not a big deal, I had a hard time with 20, 30 didn't bother me, and 35 is coming up and I feel I may have a tough time with that one. Weird thing is I don't feel any different than when I was 18, I'm a little fatter, there is a little less hair on the head but more overall bodyhair, I still have fun and I don't have to count out change to buy rot gut beer, and woman in their 40's don't look like my grandmother anymore, they look like a lot of fun, and they are.

As to being a shop slob, I can only give you minor advice since I am one, so is my business partner and we have no monkeys so... One thing that has helped is keeping the endmill and drill drawers close to the machines, we had them in the backroom for a while and that just made big piles of endmills and drills out on the workbench. We finally built a tool cart, that helped. I built a tree that is mounted in the center of the workbench that has a foam padded tray on the top about 14X8 that all inspection equipment being used goes in. Tools needed for the machine are hung off of it, collet wrenches and whatnot, there are also a few smaller boxes hanging off of it for deburring tools and writing tools(pens/sharpies).

To start, take a day or two, power down the machines and just clean and organize, a clean shop really does increase your productivity, your boss will hopefully understand. Then try to keep it that way, you won't, but it will be nice for a while, then do it again.

Now, if your desk looks like mine, at least I think there is a desk under there, just burn it or drag it out to the dumpster. I've been contemplating welding up a tube frame desk with no horizontal surfaces, just brackets to hold my keyboard, mouse, spaceball, monitors, one coffee cup holder and an angled drafting board for prints and a note pad. I'll probably just end up with a pile of crap on the floor.

HA HA HA HA

Bob, thanks for the words, man.

And thanks for your advice john and jmead. That does help.

How about keeping track of information. I tend to gravitate toward two lists, one for shit I need to buy and one for shit I need to do. I'll keep this list going for a while and cross off stuff as I get it done or decide against it. It works pretty good and it's as simple as it gets.

The snag I run into is when I try to keep track of stuff I've bought. I do pretty good with checking to see I got what I ordered and that it's the right stuff. What job was it for? "Most of them."

Do I even attempt to break down my time and materials into each product and project I'm on or is this a dead end?

For ordering stuff (I do a lot of it), I try to keep a spreadsheet for each project. Tabs for each vendor, and the parts / tools ordered from them. I made a "template" (not really, just blank spreadsheed with the vendor tabs, column formatting and headers that I open and "save as" for each project).
I"m also a slob of sorts, I have to really work hard at being somewhat organized.
Biting the bullet and taking a few days to get organized is the first, hardest, and most important step. Set up bins, label them for tools/parts/etc. Use cut-out foam in your tool boxes to organize your hand / measuring tools. Tool boards for the machines etc.

Always work harder than everyone else. I was told that as a teenager and it has really paid off.

I was taught that way and it really does work. I have had several jobs and got way up the ladder because of that attitude.

BTW 30 is nothing, I was 40 5 years ago and the 50 is aproaching way to rapidly, and yes my feet do ache, my trousers dont fit and youngsters annoy me sometimes! Its all true :)

Dave

A few thoughts from a one man band that's spent the last 30 years running his own show / doing his own s*** ........ personally I found 30 a big wake up call.

One person can only produce so much and no more, so keep it simple.

Record keeping is vital, as you get older the memory isn't so sharp thus making it easier for the skids to be put under YOU when the going get's tough???

So make a note of it, from day 1 I've always kept a day book, everything goes in it, even little reminders to get pet food on the way home. it becomes a habit.

Want's, need to gets, and things to do, a chalk or wipe board - it's visible, and priorities are easily changed.

Digital cameras make recording oddball set ups easy - cross ref pic to day book.

''Do I even attempt to break down my time and materials into each product and project I'm on or is this a dead end?''

YES YES YES, if only for the reason that when times get tight and the boss is looking for fat to trim you've got the info,..... it could save your ass.

''or how to stop worrying about this crap and just make parts.''

Sorry you gotta worry about ''this crap'' any idiot can just make parts, but the boss is in it for profit and not for the pleasure of keeping folks in work.

Take on board what John O has told you,start worrying about age when the kids call you Mister and do some thinking and answering for yourself.You`re not a child.

OT-Today I'm 30

Congrats- and all that.

But what about 30+30 =1/2that+ some more?
Quite honestly it beggars comment.
Now is the time that you have learned a tiny bit.
Now is the time that you should be using your skills to increasing advantage.

Every day is a bonus- so enjoy each waking day.

I'm over 78 and if anyone thinks that I am over the hill-- Watch out.

Enjoy it while you can. You're old enough that you know something and young enough that you don't realize how dumb you are. You don't have to get up twice a night or spend an hour every morning waiting for the pain to die down enough that you can do stuff. The first 30 years is a piece of cake.

Advice: Habits are hard to change. If you have any you don't like, change them now. Soon enough, you'll look back and realize you're a geezer and some of those habits have held you back from doing all you could. Look at the things you like best about the people around you and try to be more like that. Time really flies. Make the most of what you got.

Don't stop learning.

I'm not prone to give advise, but will share what worked for me. Twenty five years ago I was lucky enough to work for an ambitious and talented older machinist. He had become a very wealthy, multi shop owner. His advise to me was, "Once you stop learning, move on."
In that regard, I have remained humble to those with knowledge to share. Do not limit yourself with local work. It's a huge country with amazing opportunity if you have the ambition to chase it. Don't get too enamored by the bike work you do now. Quality work is not judged just by how "fantastic" it looks.

On the learning thing..........
My personal policy is to try and learn at least 1 thing *every* day. No matter how small, or how complex, at least 1 thing every day.

Apestate,

Sounds like you've got a good spot right now. One thing in your favor is that you obviously enjoy what you're doing, and that you work hard (I'll take your word for it).

The points others have made about being a bit paranoid about the new kid coming in and outworking you have some merit. I recommend that you continue to enjoy the work you are doing ("Wow, that's a great looking bike"!), but find ways to challenge yourself and your shop ("Ok, the custom fenders we made were great, but could we have made them better, cheaper, or faster?", or "Our customers are happy when we retrofit with the newer XYZ4000 engine, but it took us X hours. I wonder if we did the installation a different way if we couldn't shave several hours off the rebuild?", or "Wow, the customization on that Hayebusa* that our competitors did was terrific. Can we top it?"). In other words, enjoy your wins, but challenge yourself to be better every job.

There's a book I wish every American (every person, actually) would read. It's "Up from Slavery" by Booker T. Washington, the famous former slave. The lessons about life I got from that book were:

1) Find a task whose completion is useful to others
2) Do it to your utmost ability, so that no one can gainsay your work
3) Grow constantly (for example get educated, be concerned with others, find tasks more suited to your personal goals and personality)
4) Have the maturity and strength to put up with adversity in achieving 1-3,above.

I think that these are key ingredients of success. The fact that you are 30 and asking for advice is a very good sign. Good luck. Happy birthday.

J

To start, take a day or two, power down the machines and just clean and organize, a clean shop really does increase your productivity, your boss will hopefully understand. Then try to keep it that way, you won't, but it will be nice for a while, then do it again.

Now, if your desk looks like mine, at least I think there is a desk under there, just burn it or drag it out to the dumpster. I've been contemplating welding up a tube frame desk with no horizontal surfaces, just brackets to hold my keyboard, mouse, spaceball, monitors, one coffee cup holder and an angled drafting board for prints and a note pad. I'll probably just end up with a pile of crap on the floor.

My shop is really small in relation to the amount of equipment and machines we have jammed in there. Someone once told me that it would be hard to drive a toothpick into our shop with a sledge hammer... Pointing out the lack of open floor space...

I've done a few things that have really helped, but the cure is self dicipline. I take at least 30 minutes each day to clean up the mess of the days work. I sometimes find that the shop gets messy during the course of one project & I have to stop & clean up right in the middle of work. Take 10 minutes to police the general area and put stuff away that isn't being used, then resume work. Also clean out and getting rid of anything that might become a catch-all for those items that were used last week, will really help. If there are no "temporary" storage areas, then it forces you to keep everything picked up... Carts seem to help some, but watch then as they can easily replace a cluttered workbench...

I keep a clipboard paper and pencil near each machine and beside the phone... Because my office is not inside the shop. I make notes on a dry marker board then put them into a logbook as necessary... Digital pics are great, I use a camera and measuring device (whichever is appropriate) to record stuff that I need. I have no problem scribbling notes on a printed pic... then place it into the log...

Sweep the floor often. the more you clean, the more you will want to work in a clean area...

Remember a clean work area have lots of benefits. It gives the perception of high quality to your customers, makes you feel better about and maybe a little proud of your area, increases efficiency, & since you are now 30 (a real adult) (no offense to youngsters & you older gents know what I mean) you'll find that you conserve precious energy that would otherwise be spent searching for the gismitt that is buried beneath last weeks work...

Also get the trash out, if it's junk, toss it, if it's broken & you are keeping it to fix it later , then it's junk, if it's left over from another job, it's junk... either return it to a place where it can be used, or toss it... in either case it doesn't belong in your work area...

Finally; you have to become really Anal about your area... & that means with others that might be contributing to the mess... Just tell them "Hammers go in the drawer marked Hammers" or wrenches or... They will soon get the idea...

I'm still far from where I'd like to be too, but I'm getting there... I wasn't taught as a yungun, but I've learned a lot about my own bad habits... http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images/icons/icon12.gif
Wink

Hope this helps
Pat

Taking time to organize your desk isn't a job, it's taking a break. Sweeping the floor and machines isn't more work, it's meditation time. Sometimes it's just good to do something else. I'm 50, and the most troubling realization to me is how time keeps slipping by faster and faster. Used to be weeks slipped by fast, then months, now years. Don't put off anything! What was said about bad habits that keep you from acheiving your aspirations is on target. There was a time for goofing off, but time's running out. I still have so much I want to do in this life, and I'm starting to feel that I may not have the stamina to get some of those done. Won't stop me from trying though, I'm pretty stubborn. Happy Birthday!

While I understand the concept behind 'work harder and it pays off', I am nonetheless fascinated by the flip side of the coin. In my 20+ years in the work force I have witnessed multiple times people who have done very well for themselves yet never work very hard or contribute much.

I've also witnessed people who worked hard and still got laid off or pushed aside - usually by the people whom I've mentioned above.

go to the local book or stationary store and get yourself a journal!

keep it with you, and when you sit down at break time or lunch jot down some notes, do it again after work.

jot down everything that comes to mind, things about yourself you would like to improve, things that went good and things that went bad,

things that impress you, and depress you, all of it.

the delivery girl and her big boobs, the garbage truck guy and his hairy ass (take your pick)

then about once a week review what you have written, you will see a pattern develop in regard to what interests you really, where your time goes, things that work and don't work etc.

also makes interesting reading when you are 40,50 and beyond

bob g

Back