What's new
What's new

Purchased Jacobs Super Chuck, looks like it's been rebuilt ??

eastwood

Aluminum
I purchased this Jacobs 8 1/2 N Super Chuck, and the sleeve does not match the factory pictures I have seen, it's also a bit loose ( the sleeve) all my other Jacobs Super chucks are very smooth, precision feel with no forward/rearward movement, this one has some forward rearward movement. The fluted on the sleeve do not match the pictures of factory super chucks, or mine, what do you think ?

jacobschuck.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, I wouldn't think that a 'Super Chuck' sleeve would fit on a plain bearing chuck body. But I have never tried this, have you had it apart yet?
:D Dave

Old super chucks have that type of shell. I don't know what year Jacobs changed the design. Sometimes you can see tiny date codes (last two digits of the year) on the body near the gear teeth.

Larry

I have old super chucks like that. The movement could be from loose balls, or from the sleeve moving on the nut. I've actually seen the sleeve slip on the nut and not tighten the jaws beyond hand tight.

As mentioned above, older ball brg. chucks had a plain looking sleeve. I just rebuilt a 3/4 I could have sworn it was a plain until I pressed it apart. I would like to thank the guys who responded to my post a couple weeks back - how to rebuild a Jacobs. I scrubed mine down, added a shim ring & I'm off & running. If your looking for a later 3/8 super, I got a good used one.

Well glad to hear that the earlier models had the sleeve as pictured on this chuck. If it's one of the earlier models I'm sure it has had some miles, I hope none for the worse... I will test it out soon. Thanks for the info, on rebuilding I'm not sure the work combined with the price of a rebuild kit is worth it.... scrounging ebay you can find a complete chuck cheaper than the rebuild kits, however your taking a chance just as I have with this chuck... however I have 2 more (11N, 14N) that are just like new, you don't see 8 1/2 N chucks pop up often.

I use the 11N 99% of the time, if this 8 1/2N turns out to be a good chuck it will be used most of the time. I still need to pick up one more 14N for my Rockwell/Delta drill press. Once I used a Jacobs Super Chuck I have been spoiled from the normal use of the cheap Chinese junker chucks so common.

Clint

Back