What's new
What's new

Knurling Tool Types?

Deanism

Aluminum
Just wondering if there is a better method of producing knurled finishes than by using a simple knurling wheel system?

I avoid the single wheel types because of the excessive pressure they place on headstock bearings when used on tough materials. The opposing wheel types get around this, but of course they still rely on simply forcing the pattern into the surface. I'm sure I have used a type that tends to 'slice' rather than indent. From memory it had adjustable wheel angels which I think allowed some adjustment to suit the diameter of the work - rather than having to make the diameter suitable for the pitch of the knurling.

The purpose of "embossed" knurling is to raise peaks on the work surface which make it easier to grip. You can't do this by simply cutting grooves in the surface.

Why not? Cutting type knurls have been discussed here before. They cut, which is supposed to maintain the OD of the work rather than raising it. Being a cutting operation it lowers the "valleys" below the "peaks". If you want a "raised" knurl just remove some material on either side.

Conceivably one could single point a high pitch right hand thread and then over the same area cut the same pitch left hand thread and get a diamond pattern knurl. Never tried it myself... seems like it would be difficult to get it right (multi-starts etc...) which is why they make tools for cutting knurls.

-DU-

slightly off topic here. But, say I have a 1/8" diam 30 Rc or greater steel and its about 12" long what would you use? I don't think a follow rest would be feasible. Is there like some kind of swaging tool where you can knurl between 2 plates utilizing pressure? Any ideas for rigging something for lots of use or buying something professionally made that can get the job doen quick?

could someone post a link to a decent opposing-wheel version?
Here's a pic of the Aloris #19 tool that I use.

AlorisBXA19.jpg

It's much more massive than the picture suggests.

- Leigh

Back