What's new
What's new

OT antique?? motorcycle pic

Ray Behner

Diamond
Just for kicks, I thought I'd share this with you guys. My brother Roy and I built this thing in ten days just so we could take it to the Tri-State Gas Engine Show in Portland, In. back in 1982. We made it out of 1 1/4" gas pipe and other junk such as: hayrake wheels, manure spreader chain and sprockets, graindrill funnel for exhaust pipe, Delco lightplant gas tank for looks only and powered it with a Fairbanks Morse 3hp engine which ran a hyd. pump to operate the hyd. motor. On the handlebars was a squeeze lever to operate a control valve. I rode it one time. That was once to many. Roy, being twice my size and strength rode it everywhere at the show.

Ray

900Cow.jpg

Holy crap! It's powered by a Maytag single. That's a whoppin' 1/2 hp. I was wondering how he'd balance it with all that reduction, but then noticed the training wheel on the right side. Ours', one the other hand, was made for extremely high speed. A blistering 6mph.

I love it!
Amazing how a person can view a pile of scrap and think: "Hummm I think I could................"

Well done Ray,
Sylvester Roper would be proud of you and your brother.
My ass hurts just from looking at the picture - any springs on that seat?
Tom

By the way, my avatar shows Roper with his last ride...a modified Columbia bicycle from Albert Pope with steam engine that could reach up to 40 MPH. This is the one he died on at an exhibition back in 1896. This motorcycle is now in the Motorcycle Hall of Fame - currently owned by a gent from Michigan.

Ray, that is just wonderful!

I've had a 2-3/4HP Choreboy for some 30 yrs, and periodically try to dream up some sort of "butt buggy" for it. Your MC beats all, and it really has that complete nostalgic "original found in a barn" period look.

smt

PS. Tom, it just struck me, wonder if ol' Syl is in any way related to the famous vintage racer from our era, Steve Roper?

Back