What's new
What's new

small mills chip load

robbor

Aluminum
I could use some help on CL for small mills, I have a 1/32-2fl, 1/16-4fl and 7/64-3fl. I know I saw somewhere about using .0005 for the 1/32 and my max rpm is 5-6K. I just dont want to break the little 1/32.

I just dont want to break the little 1/32.

With my eyesight, I don't think I could FIND the little 1/32 :o.

I've never felt the pull of miniature machining, rather have gone the other way over the years. What's it like running a 1/32" mill? Do you get any sensory feedback at all about the cut, other than maybe a little "tink" when it breaks?

FG

With my eyesight, I don't think I could FIND the little 1/32 :o.

I've never felt the pull of miniature machining, rather have gone the other way over the years. What's it like running a 1/32" mill? Do you get any sensory feedback at all about the cut, other than maybe a little "tink" when it breaks?

FG
If the radio isn't to loud you can sometimes hear the tick as it breaks, other than that it is all eyesight.

.0005 should be good for your chip load, I machine a ton of grooves for an electronics company in both aluminum and copper, always the same .040" wide by .040" deep. On the bridgeport I go .010 per pass and I use kerosene dabbed on with a small acid brush or sometimes just a continuous blast of air if the part has electronics still attached to it.

Back