What's new
What's new

OT: anyone renting outdoor storage ?

tnmgcarbide

Diamond
guy calls me and wants to rent outdoor space in my lot ( 1.5 acre , fully asphalt paved , 7' peripheral fenced w/
locked gates ) to store large crates and containers .

nobody in my area is offering such a rental , so i don't have a clue what to charge him . he needs about 1/8 acre =
75' x 75' area .

anyone here doing similar?

No help on money, but be really clear on the law in case what he's storing is stolen or contraband. You don't want to find out after the fact how you're impacted.

Also, you may want to check with your insurance company. If his stuff is totally legit, but somehow you get burgled and some of his stuff disappears - who's at fault, who's insurance co pays?

Personally, I avoid stuff like this...

guy calls me and wants to rent outdoor space in my lot ( 1.5 acre , fully asphalt paved , 7' peripheral fenced w/
locked gates ) to store large crates and containers .

nobody in my area is offering such a rental , so i don't have a clue what to charge him . he needs about 1/8 acre =
75' x 75' area .

anyone here doing similar?

It can work. Or turn ugly with no warning with but two "good" tenants over 40+ years. DAMHIKT.

Better anyone in need go to a provider who is in the business of renting space and already has the experience, contract boilerplate, insurance, specialized Lawsters.. wotever.. to survive those "incidents", rare OR common.

ELSE.. lease or even PURCHASE unimproved land on his own hook, stone-base and fence his OWN, dedicated, storage facility. Anyone with their head on straight doesn't really want to share YOUR possible risks and problems, any more than you want to share his.

If that sort of landlord is not "you", already, best to not be distracted from your mainstream biz by the learning-curve and "surprises".

More pain than gain.

DON'T DO IT......!!!!!!!!!

You're going to get SUED!!!!!!!

And then you are going to GO TO JAIL!!!!! Because there are going to be Mexican hookers laundering
Chinese money while eating endangered caviar and having sex with 3 years olds living in there.

Maybe a $100 or a few $100 a month to let somebody plop some shit down in your yard.. I'd be all over that..
Free money.. No keys, you can get in when I'm here.

DON'T DO IT......!!!!!!!!!

You're going to get SUED!!!!!!!

And then you are going to GO TO JAIL!!!!! Because there are going to be Mexican hookers laundering
Chinese money while eating endangered caviar and having sex with 3 years olds living in there.

If I had a dollar for every time this exact scenario happened in my town EVERY YEAR, I'd be a rich man. Bobw is right, be careful!

[OK, it was 3 year old caviar, and Indonesian Rupiah, not Chinese Renminbi. But it can happen!]

Zoning, too.

Not sure I'd want to actually look at the contents, but rather just stipulate what they can and cannot be. If you look, and don't determine it's contraband, then you're in the position of approving the storage of something that turns out to be illegal in some way. So you chose to be complicit in that crime. Only look if you completely know what you're looking at, which is impossible...

Or just don't do it.

Chip

That reminds me of the time this guy wanted to borrow a ten inch grinder to grind his welds on home made shelving while standing next to a pallet of smokeless powder.

It's a good thing if he's a decent guy, it's a bad thing if he's let power go to his head.

If he'll sign a statement saying he'd only store empty containers and they'd be clean (no food remnants to attract rats, or similar issues), then that makes it easier to say yes.

Contact your insurance company and ask for specific rider covering the specific area and access to it for him to pay for.

Check with your zoning just to be safe as sub leasing may be issue and if you ate not legal owner it may be issue.

If he is selling containers then is this warehouse or showroom as public roaming is different.

Also make clear in language of agreement terms of eviction and abandonment as you may need him to leave or he may go broke.

If containers are there and he gets behind then you take ownership at cost not retail as rent and he loses ownership and would need to purchase back any forfeited units before any are sold off the lot so he must pay you first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I think the question was HOW MUCH, not SHOULD I.

Actual, on topic experience here.

Starting in Feb, 2012, I rented a dirt lot for maybe 6 months, 5159 SF, 6' chain link fence all around, $774 per month = $.15/SF/Month.

The property belonged to the City of Santa Barbara Airport. I had to post a security deposit of about 1.5 months rent and provide a Certificate of Insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 of general liability and automobile insurance with the City of Santa Barbara named as an additional insured. There was a 2 page Use Permit (rules) to sign. PM me if you want to see the documents.

The Airport would not rent it to me as an individual so I had to run it through a friend's business.

I put my lock on the gate and had 24/7 access.

No utilities of any type.

My usage was to stage 3 x 40' containers and 2 x 20' containers for loading.

Last edited:
no zoning problem- i am zoned industrial .

containers are supposed to be empty , business is container sales .

guy says he's a deputy sheriff .... not sure if that's good or bad..........

Deputy sheriff, that's always bad in my book, there is a saying here, never lend money or become partners with a law men, because at the end you are always left with the bill and the law shute.

We're a bunch of crusty 'ol fart machinists with a broad range of experiances - you ask us something, we'll download a bucket of stuff, some useful, some not. The OP can figure out which is which.

Some useful, some even entertaining. I find it embarrassing that it takes so long for someone to respond to the OP's question.
It was reasonably asked and no indication that the OP isn't an adult. Shouldn't we at least try to respond, on topic, to a reasonable question?

Try to FOCUS. That's not aimed at Milland specifically. Just my crazy dream. :nutter:

Well since it is real estate it's always about location so not sure how much this will help you.

My father rents a spot in a big lot for his 28' Class A motorhome. No power hookups. No amenities. Big muddy field filled with other RV's and boats sitting in the tall grass. Surrounded by a chain link fence. Business hours access only. Cost is $500 a month for that 200sq/ft. Might have gone up, will have to ask him. Land is owned by the hardware store next door. This is a good price around here, he had to move from the other place because it got too expensive.

Deputy sheriff, that's always bad in my book, there is a saying here, never lend money or become partners with a law men, because at the end you are always left with the bill and the law shute.

There is truth in that. I know a few officers; I work in a police station but am not an officer (different dept, same building). The bottom line to them is "will the prosecutor bring action?" If the answer is no then the law can be ignored.

To the OP: you can be zoned industrial and not able to take payment for storage of other parties property. It depends on the wording of your local zoning ordinances. It also depends on if there is any enforcement of said ordinances.

Lot access on your schedule AND no locks allowed on any container and you can open and inspect the inside of any container. Of course containers must be hazard free if they are for sale then they cannot be stacked so as to block the doors shut, prospective customer would want to inspect the inside anyway.

Back