Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxian View Post
    Well since it is real estate it's always about location so not sure how much this will help you.

My father rents a spot in a big lot for his 28' Class A motorhome. No power hookups. No amenities. Big muddy field filled with other RV's and boats sitting in the tall grass. Surrounded by a chain link fence. Business hours access only. Cost is $500 a month for that 200sq/ft. Might have gone up, will have to ask him. Land is owned by the hardware store next door. This is a good price around here, he had to move from the other place because it got too expensive.
    If it's not a national security issue, the name of "around here" would seem pertinent.

30 x 10 = 300/sqft minimum. $500/300=$1.67/sqft. More than 10x what I paid at the Santa Barbara Airport.

That must be some special motorhome.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by extropic View Post
    If it's not a national security issue, the name of "around here" would seem pertinent.

30 x 10 = 300/sqft minimum. $500/300=$1.67/sqft. More than 10x what I paid at the Santa Barbara Airport.

That must be some special motorhome.
    Lol, no it's called living on the coast outside Silicon Valley. He had it stashed at a neighbors for the first few years he had it. When they sold the place and he started looking to store it he was not a happy camper .

Then again our 10x20 junk storage unit is a bit over $400 a month so that wasn't unexpected.

Trust me, I see people on here building shops and renting industrial space at prices that honestly wouldn't get me a broom closet. Not a lot I can do. It's the price you pay for the year round good weather, access to VERY well paying jobs, every type of medical, technology, entertainment and well pretty much cutting edge everything.

It's pretty great, which everyone else figured out, hence the prices. Only good side is the price of things like cars stay the same. So if you make average pay around here your extra spending cash goes a long way. I swear I must see 20+ $100k Tesla's every day. Lots of expensive toys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I swear I must see 20+ $100k Tesla's every day. Lots of expensive toys.
    Not a big deal around here. I see at least five $100,000+ Porsche motor cars every day. In my garage. Even drive them to work once in a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then again our 10x20 junk storage unit is a bit over $400 a month so that wasn't unexpected.
    I'm not trying to bust your balls about the numbers, it's just that they are surprising. This better be some good junk. I don't have any junk worth keeping at $4800/year.

5. Likes Bobw, Philabuster, extropic, Davis In SC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bringing it back to the southeast where me and TNMG and all the other poor rednecks live, looking at the price of RV storage is probably a reasonable way of coming up with a price.

Around here, paved and fenced storage for a travel trailer goes for $60 to $70 per month. You could park 14 of them in a 75x75 space, 2 rows of 7.

Say $65 x 14 = $910. I'd assume if someone wanted to rent 14 spaces, they could get a pretty good volume discount. Maybe 25 or 30 percent. Around $650/mo. should be a good deal for anyone looking to rent space unless he's one of those clowns who's looking for something for nothing. If he thinks that's too much, I'd send him on down the road as cheapskates always seem to be a general PITA in every sort of dealing you have with them.

7. Likes Davis In SC, Vladymere gr liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i rent storage to motohomes on my property. i get 40-50 per unit depending upon the size. fenced, asphalt millings, lighted. that would equate to about $500 for your 75*75

will you have a plan to get rid of the storage once your renter disappears? i have had that problem

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good answers, all.

My only two sense (to bring several great comments together) is that a useful way to think about it is imagine you're a landlord- because you are. And then think about all the things you'd need to consider in order to responsibly rent-out space. Ex. Do I have the right to let-out the space (zoning, permitting). How do I deal with liability (lease agreement defining who is responsible for what risks, additional insurance coverage, who pays for what insurance coverage, how do you verify they've dealt with their portion). Terms of the lease (specifically what space, what hours, how renews, at what rate, which party can terminate when/how, etc.). How/When it terminates (if/when they want to leave, if/when you want to sell, if/when you want them out). What happens if they default or abandon.

Nothing impossible or ungainly to work through. But the formalism of a bunch of diligence on your end prior followed by an actual contract/lease spelling it all out will help focus you on the relevant issues.

A copy of a reputable storage facility lease agreement might be a good starting point. Consulting your own attorney once you have the basics of the business deal in-hand is also wise.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Smith View Post
    I'm not trying to bust your balls about the numbers, it's just that they are surprising. This better be some good junk. I don't have any junk worth keeping at $4800/year.
    Well here is the link to the place we use.

https://www.extraspace.com/Storage/F...aspx#cid=lsgmb

You will notice the 10x20 size is not available anymore. This place and all the others in town are at about max occupancy most of the year. If you don't move fast they get taken. I know it's expensive but it's apparently what the market will pay. The RV stuff is not nearly as nice as this because it's outdoor stuff and not personal belongings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For reasons that are not important I had an idea such an offer might be coming my way recently and was thinking about a basis for what to charge. I think it is comparable to a cell tower site in value to me. Around hear cell sites rent for $750/mo or so for about 75-100' square. The other thing you need to to is to look for a good lease that specifies what can and cannot be done, or stored, and that they can't dump anything or leave anything and if they do they will pay to clean it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well here is the link to the place we use.
    Ship me your stuff. The catch is, nobody is lining up to live in Indiana.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails storage.jpg  

13. Likes Jaxian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just inquired locally about a lot...

$1500/acre/month I don't know how much they would divide. Fenced. Not paved but gravel. (maybe partially paved...I haven't been back there lately).

Louisville, KY in an industrial area a few miles from the interstate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jamscal View Post
    Just inquired locally about a lot...

$1500/acre/month I don't know how much they would divide. Fenced.
    How big is the building, and does it have 3 phase?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Amazing how values differ... I let a guy keep cows/horses on 15 acres for free, just to keep fences up and bush-hog twice a year. And this is not Podunk USA, it is 7 miles South of the huge BMW plant in SC. Also, I rent space in a closed schoolhouse to store some junk, a classroom with AC/Heat is 150/mo...