What's new
What's new

OT: Best portable wet sandblasting setup?

Spud

Diamond
Who all makes the best portable wet sandblasting setup?
For Wet Sandblasting, a hose connects to the main tube just before the nozzle; is this the norm or are there single tube systems ?

In dry ice blasting machines, I have read that older systems used 2 hoses/tubes , then Coldjet invented the single hose/tube system. The latter admixed the air and dry ice prior to shooting it out of a tube. So does the same apply to wet sandblasting, i.e. single hose vs. dual hose?

Don't know if this is what you are looking for-
NorthStar High-Pressure Abrasive Blasting Kit — 3500 Max. PSI | Pressure Washer Hoses| Northern Tool + Equipment

It hooks to a pressure washer, $59.
I used to rent a storage unit and they blasted all the doors with one of these and WHAT A FREAKIN' MESS! They had sand in all the hinges and rollers.

That is using the Venturi Effect ; are there systems that combine the water and sand before shooting it out of the wand/tube?

In wet blasting most introduce the water at the nozzel. Moister in your blasting system is a night mare sand clumps and clogs. I have to ask what you plan on blasting. sand blasting is dusty and sand goes every were but is easly blow vacumed up now that you add water to the mess the dust goes down but the mess goes up now your dealing with sludge and water runing were ever gravity takes it

We've got a wet attachment for our Clemco blast rig and it just attaches to the end of the nozzle. Like 460 ford says, any water anywhere prior to the exit of the nozzle is guaranteed to cause problems. He's also right about the extreme mess made by wet blasting. If you're considering wet to keep down the dust due to silica content, check out DuPont Starblast. It is silica free, so that takes care of that problem. Starblast is also highly recyclable as compared to most blasting sands because it doesn't fracture like sand on impact.

If you're looking at a significant amount of blasting, its worthwhile to use a venturi nozzle rather than a regular cylindrical shaped nozzle. The venturi gives equal distribution of sand across the pattern while a cylinder tends to put the sand in a ring at the outer edge of the pattern and mostly air at the center. Borazon nozzles are well worth their cost, but the price can be a little hard to swallow up front. Long term though, they will outlast and outperform other nozzle materials by a wide margin.

In wet blasting most introduce the water at the nozzel. Moister in your blasting system is a night mare sand clumps and clogs. I have to ask what you plan on blasting. sand blasting is dusty and sand goes every were but is easly blow vacumed up now that you add water to the mess the dust goes down but the mess goes up now your dealing with sludge and water runing were ever gravity takes it

We've got a wet attachment for our Clemco blast rig and it just attaches to the end of the nozzle. Like 460 ford says, any water anywhere prior to the exit of the nozzle is guaranteed to cause problems. He's also right about the extreme mess made by wet blasting. If you're considering wet to keep down the dust due to silica content, check out DuPont Starblast. It is silica free, so that takes care of that problem. Starblast is also highly recyclable as compared to most blasting sands because it doesn't fracture like sand on impact.

If you're looking at a significant amount of blasting, its worthwhile to use a venturi nozzle rather than a regular cylindrical shaped nozzle. The venturi gives equal distribution of sand across the pattern while a cylinder tends to put the sand in a ring at the outer edge of the pattern and mostly air at the center. Borazon nozzles are well worth their cost, but the price can be a little hard to swallow up front. Long term though, they will outlast and outperform other nozzle materials by a wide margin.

Hi guys,
The intended purpose is to remove paint from concrete walls, both exterior and interior. I am in Sri Lanka atm so not sure if Dupont starblast is available here. I was thinking that some time in the future if I get a machine over here to properly repaint my in-law's house.

I am looking at wet blasting because it might provide more force and less of it will be dissipated/diverted before it reaches the wall ? The other advantage is using steam pressure washer or hot water which would help in paint removal ?

Metlmunchr,
Clemco is top of the line for sandblastin rigs?

Expensive but worth it, Look into/google Ecoquip. They are made in the Eastern US. They use a small amount of water and the abrasive use is greatly reduced. Clemco offers two options. One is a water ring that doesn't inject water into the blast stream. The other is a system that uses a pump to inject the water right before the nozzle. A tremendous amount of water is used when either of the Clemco options are used. This, of course, is only true when looking at long blast times. E-mail me with any questions at [email protected].

Expensive but worth it, Look into/google Ecoquip. They are made in the Eastern US. They use a small amount of water and the abrasive use is greatly reduced. Clemco offers two options. One is a water ring that doesn't inject water into the blast stream. The other is a system that uses a pump to inject the water right before the nozzle. A tremendous amount of water is used when either of the Clemco options are used. This, of course, is only true when looking at long blast times. E-mail me with any questions at [email protected].

Just checked out the Ecoquip; it certainly looks like the cat's meow. The website doesn't actually say anything about how it works. How much does the basic setup (no onboard compressor) cost?

The Wet Blasting setups I have seen on Youtube use a sandblaster with water introduced just before the nozzle. Could a pressure washer be used with sand introduced just before the nozzle?

I have my mind set on a Mi-T-M steam pressure washer so wondering if I can effectively Wet Blast with it.

Back