What's new
What's new

LeBlond Servo Shift Lathe oil question

I'm getting my 15" Regal servo shift back together after some problems with broken gears. Thanks PMr Jackson Holland for the parts and fast shipping. LeBlond calls for 20w-20sc engine oil in the headstock...... No auto parts store around here has or can get any. I can get 10w or 30w. Mix 10 and 30 to get 20?

My LeBlond manual No. 3925 says:

"Oil weekly with high quality rust & oxidation inhibited oil, 300SSU @ 100° F."

The Servo Shift hydraulic oil also lubes the headstock bearings, so I'd choose a light spindle oil suitable for the bearings and the Servo Shift will be happy.

Mike

20W-20 was the spec for lever shock oil in british cars (at least my MG Midget) you might want to try somewhere that caters to british cars .Bill

It is hard to find! For some strange reason, I started to see it in some (murray's) auto parts stores about 4 years ago. It has since seemed to slowly disappear again. I have gone to mixing 10W and 30W as you said. It seems to work fine. No problems after 10 years. I am sure that some people will say this is a bad idea, but because of the lack of additives in "straight" oils like 10W or 30W (non-detergent) I add a pint of STP to the 7 quarts of oil that my early 80's Leblonds (non servo-shift) Knight 20 & 30 lathes use in the headstock.

Jeff

My LeBlond manual No. 3925 says:

"Oil weekly with high quality rust & oxidation inhibited oil, 300SSU @ 100° F."

Mike

I have seen that on one. I think it is referring to the gears that are OUTSIDE the headstock, on the far left end of the machine/headstock.

Jeff

---per Leblond service dept.---
Mobil DTE-26 oil for the headstock and QC box. Can also use it or way oil for everything else. Available from Mobil dealers or Enco.

-Patrick

300 SSU is about 20W SAE or an ISO-68. I would use an R&O (rust & oxidation inhibited) recirculating oil with the Anti-Wear formulation.

Mobil DTE-26 is an excellent choice or you might try your local farm supply store.
JR

Back