What's new
What's new

Update on the crappy Hertel tool holder

nakedanvil

Aluminum
A couple weeks ago I posted about a brand new Hertel CAT40 ER-16 tool holder I bought from J&L that ran out. With an indicator in the taper bore of the holder I got a .030 swing!! .015 off-center! Just got a new one from Maritool (a little cheaper actually) and I cannot detect any runout!! Like ZERO!! Quality looking tool too. I mean I was starting to questiom my spindle! How can Hertel make a tool THAT bad? I did notice that my older Hertel tooling has their name and part information etched in the barrel and this new one was blank. Ya think they're re-packaging imports? Huh, Ya think? The Hertel din't even come with a nut and the Maritool did.

I'm now a Maritool groupie! Thanks Frank! I used to just take it for granted that a holder was right on.

The Hertel name sounds appropriate. The hurt'll be on your bottom line if you use the tool, and you'll want to make it hurtle through the air into the trash bin. It made you jump a hurdle and buy a Maritool.

Interestingly I bought some Lenox bandsaw blades from J&L. They came in a polythene bag with only the J&L part number on the label and they were rubbish; one was about 1/2" too long, the welds were poor and they broke after very little use. Are J&L shipping cheap stuff pretending they are a 'brand name'? I would have expected Lenox blades to be packaged in a branded package not in some anonymous plastic bag.

Are we being duped?

Regards,

Mike.

J&L now owned by MSC

I have always preferred J&L over MSC and since MSC bought J&L will they be brought down to there Level of service Just my opinion Barry

I bought a few lenox bandsaw blades from msc. They came in the lenox box which was in a larger box. They had made in usa marked on the blade. I also got a few from a local vendor that shipped the blades through ups in the original box and where the blade overlaps when it's coiled up was damaged :(

Just got a couple ER-11 holders from Mari. I didn't look real hard, but I'm not aware of any of the common suppliers offering this size. ER-11 looked like it'd be really nice for small cutters, giving better coolant access than an ER-16. And the smaller collet steps will be nice for small drills.

They look really nice, but I haven't stuck them in the spindle yet. I'm not worried based on all I've read here. Only thing that caused a slight inconvenience is that they come with a hex nut, and all he lists on the site are the 'mini' slotted wrenches.

You definitely ended up in the right place for your tool holder (maritool.com).

Hertel can be hit or miss on other things, a lot of their cutting tools look so-so but their lathe tooling is actually pretty nice, I have three insert holders and as far as I can tell they're made by Kennemetal with Hertel labeling on them, they're pretty nice pieces.

Unfortunately playing the J&L discount game to get a reasonable price on them is a pain.

Paul T.

I used to like J&L. Now I don't.

It is like shopping at Fry's. You hate going there, but if they are the only ones that have what you need, you endure the pain.

Unfortunately playing the J&L discount game to get a reasonable price on them is a pain.

Paul T.

J&L used to be a great company. Their prices were mostly fair, the sales were actual sales, discounts were free flowing, The O-Zone, then MSC took over.

I hate ordering from them. Their prices have gone through the roof, even with the 30% off they had off yesterday. A kurt D688 (the discount actually applied to Kurts this time) at 30% off was still $50 more than I bought them for last week. I've ordered from them 3 times(the emergency 2 drills, a reamer and a tap) since their "full integration" on Sept 1. And everytime when your done with your order I click on the comment/feedback button and tell them that MSC fucked up J&L. Of course they apologize for the inconvenience, say they are working on it, and give me a code for 10% off my next order. What the hell are they working on, lower you prices back to where they were, and put the J&L website back to the way it was, problem solved, you won't suck anymore.

I used to spend a lot of money with J&L, not anymore. If I need something next day, I'll pay a reasonable price for the tools and pay full shipping, and even if there is a sale going on, It will still be cheaper.

I'll spend my money with the little guys.

Mike, If you ordered, and payed for, a premimum product like a Lennox blade and J&L sold you crap you should track down Lennox corporate and let them know. They spend a lot of money maintaining an quality brand image and they are going to be very pissed about that.

I bought a Hertel 9' 7 1/2" bandsaw blade and I could tell by the weld that it was going to break when I got it. The grinding down was horrific. They went way past smooth and into the blade. So MSC gave me a credit, and sent me another. Guess what! This one was even worse. It was not put together straight. You could see the slight "V", and it was welded about 70%. It would bounce up 1/4" every time it came around. They gave me another credit and are now sending me a Lenox. It better be in a Lenox box. I am now at 0 dollars for the week, and its almost Wednesday. I am pissed enough to just about dump MSC J&L. Anybody have any other vendors they like?
I used Hertel blades for 2 or 3 years and all of the sudden now they can't make a blade. My guess is the moved the plant to somewhere cheaper, China? I think MSC J&L probably has gone extremely cheap, they might have 5-10 bucks in a 30 dollar blade. They dont really care if they send refunds every few sales, they are still making good money. The big loser is the business, like mine that is not running at the moment.

I'll spend my money with the little guys.
Amen!

GermanOkie, I buy my blades from a local machinery dealer in nashville.I don't know what brand they are, but they weld their own and do a great job. I have never used a better blade. You should look around for a local co to get blades from, that way you have direct access to the quality control. A good $26 blade is a heck of a lot better than 3 (or 8) $15 blades!

The blade was closer to $25! I can't believe how MSC bought J&L and is totally destroying what was once a good company..........

I was told that J&L owned Kennametal and the only reason MSC bought them is to get Kennametal. Anyone know the truth?

I'm 90% sure it was the other way around, Kennametal owned J&L, and then Kennametal sold J&L to MSC.

I remember my J&L salesman calling me the morning he found out, he was not a happy camper. He said part of the reason that MSC wanted J&L was for their top notch customer service, and J&L was good.

I still hate MSC, they boogered the J&L website(its gotten a bit better, but not as good as it was), the search always sucked, but it seems worse now. I hate the MSC part #s, gives you a damn headache looking at them. 8 straight #s, put a dash in there or something. J&L had 3 letters a dash and 5 numbers, very easy to read and type in.

I hate when you put in a part # and no QTY, it pops up a window to enter a qty. MAYBE you could interpret no qty as ONE. Frustrating when you're trying to get an order for one reamer in 2 minutes before cut off time.

The other thing that gets my goat, if you order ONE item over the weight limit, you're entire order doesn't qualify for the next day upgrade. Fine, I'll just get the little stuff I need and go elsewhere for the other stuff.

The nice thing, when its 35% off for 5 items or more, one single 1/8 drill at like 40cents counts as an item.

I'm actually glad that MSC screwed the pooch, it forced me to try some new vendors and new brands. I've saved a bunch, and put some money in some little guys pockets.

[Rant Off]

Got the next saw blade. Looks pretty good. But its not in a Lenox box, and it does not say Lenox on the paperwork at all either. It did say made in the UK on something. At least it looks like it will work this time. Still looking for new vendors. I can see where this is going.

I will secound the MSC take over helping - forcing me to find new venders. Almost glad it happened

Back