What's new
What's new

Gorton No 1169-1 Panto collets

tomas

Aluminum
Before I do my usual and proceed to re-invent the wheel, I decided to try here for tapers
dimensions and the like. I just got a P!-2 engraving machine virtually naked. It was late
enough to almost be the Heavy duty model. The spindle has a tapered socket and no closing nut. These are illustrated as a block of 8 panto collets but are asterisked to inform
that the 5/16" bore comes with the machine and is not included. These No.1169-1 collets
generally resemble the Universal Accuacy Flex right to the skinny taper but not the nose.
Another and still made would be the ER type, which with a lot of fussing might be grindable
tothe Gorton taper. Without pouring a cerrotrue plug in the socket the taper appears to be
4 degrees per side and perhaps .875 long. Major dia. about .487. Has anyone on this site
been curious enough to measure one of these animals? On re-inventing the wheel- If I select the stones and invent the chisels and other tools for the project, why then and only then someone will have them on e-bay. I at least need to go far enough to make that happen. No fool like an old one - tomas- Tom Burgess, Kalispell, MT.

Not sure of the dimensions, but I know that Panto collets do show up on fleabay on a regular basis; at least I see them there when I am looking for stuff for my Gorton mill.
Mark

Call (not email) the tech/parts guy at Gorton- he has been very helpful to me in the past.
He has faxed me relevant pages of catalogs, and explained things. He may have a drawing of the collet, but at least should know as much as anybody.

The Gorton collets are, of course, available new- but for unbelievable prices- just like all their parts-depending on model and type of collet, the taper collets for holding the tapered engraving bits run over $300 each.

I paid $1500 for a P-3-Z and a pickup load of parts and type, Boeing Surplus- thought I overpaid, til I started adding up Gorton replacement prices- not including the machine, of course, I stopped counting when I got somewhere close to $30,000.
But I dont have any extra collets.

If you can find used ones, jump on em. They are rare and strange, and I sure dont see em for sale very often.

Famco bought Gorton some time ago. They stock, or will have made, most anything. Just takes time and money.

http://www.famcomachine.com/

Panto collets.

Tomas,
I too got a naked P1-2. I wound up making a set of toolholders for mine. I set my lathe compound as close to the taper as possible. Then after turning several aluminum test tapers and adjusting the compound between until I had a perfect fit in the spindle, I turned one out of tool steel. I completed the entire part including boring the holder to the required size. I left 1/2 inch on the tool end that I threaded 3/8-16 in order to accept a nut to pull the toolholder out of the spindle. After completion it is parted off.A small allen setscrew holds the tool in place. They work like a top and are extremely accurate. Make a bunch of them and keep the different cutters in them for quick changes.
Good luck,
Charles

Gorton No. 1169-1 Panto collets

Reis, Thanx.
"Call (not email) the tech/parts guy at Gorton- he has been very helpful to me in the past.
He has faxed me relevant pages of catalogs, and explained things. He may have a drawing of the collet, but at least should know as much as anybody."
Confusion here in Kalispell! Famco seems to be dis-enchanted with the notion of further support for Gorton stuff. Where do I find this Gorton Guru feller? I wished to do this
right from the start. It would appear that the 3 panto collet types are similar in taper.
P1-2 spindle max collet size accepts to 5/16ths dia, H.D.version of this 3/8" and the P3-2
(Your version?) 1/2" If you can believe the Gorton history, Lars took over in late '60s, and
Famco about 1985. I didn't really expect to find a long time employee still at it this late date. I had to buy a 3-U with mother load of accesories at same time to come anywhere close to your purchase. Right now I have 3 different spindles of the 2 that Famco supported
on my desk so I can make this P1-2 operate, but it needs TLC from sitting in a plywood
shipping coffin for from 10 to 15 years hot southern Temps. The oils and bearing grease
have gone fossil. tomas,
Tom Burgess Kalispell, MT.

Gorton collets

Tom the company that supports Gorton is Belco Famco/Gorton/Lars of Kenosha Wisconsin 262-654-3516. I have a couple of od ball size collets 5/32 and .100 that I would sell for what I have in them. I also have a p1-2 with the minature spindle and a spare micrometer spindle with a 5/16 straight bore that I want to get rid of if anyone is interrested.
Hal

Back