What's new
What's new

lube cross-reference needed.

anchorman

Titanium
I have a machine in my shop (big wood jointer made by Moak) that specs "Gargoyle Vacuoline Oil E" for the bearings (ball-bearings), which spin at 3600 RPM. Does anyone have info on this oil, and modern alternative?

Claims to be a Socony-Vacuum product. I read somewhere that Socony is for standard oil of ny (maybe here on PM???)

Anyway, on the OWWM site, I found a lube reference that tells the viscosity for various lubes for machinery made by oliver of similar vintage, and they mention "Gargoyle Velocite Oil E" and that it has a Viscosity of 60-75 seconds S.U. @ 100 deg F. They list this as an oil for ball bearings turning in excess of 4000 RPM.

For ball bearings turning under 4000 RPM they list "Gargoyle Vactra Oil Heavy Medium" with a viscosity of 275-300 seconds.

Since neither of these corresponds with the name of the oil spec'd, which would be a good idea in these bearings? I was leaning towards the 60-75 sec. viscosity oil because the name was closer to what is spec'd for my machine, but given the application (bearings below 4000rpm) I was thinking that the higher viscosity oil would be better.:confused:

any advice???

-jon

Jon --

"Gargoyle" was a brand name for lubricants marketed by an ancestor of Mobil Oil, which is itself now a part of Exxon/Mobil. Any Exxon/Mobil industrial oil distributor or sales engineer will be able to point to one (or more) Mobil-branded oil produced today that is a plug-and-play grandchild of Vacuoline Oil E.

Of course, I'd expect that any of today's major oil companies and most of the minors will offer an oil to replace Vacuoline Oil E, and their distributors and sales engineers will be able to tell you their name for that oil.

John

Those are really old designations. They go back before my time by a long ways. Good thing that I keep reference manuals.

SOCONY indeed was Standard Oil Co. of NewYork, which became Mobil Oil. There was also Standard Oil of Ohio and California.

That designation probably dates back to the 1950's at least. Most of your Mobil dealers won't even know about it unless they have someone that's been there quite a long time.

Also, be very careful of people with conversion charts. There are 2 different Saybolt charts to convert from. SUS which is viscosity @ 100F and SSF (Furol) which is Viscosity @100C. There are also many different types of oil for different purposes that all have the same viscosity.

For your application, standard or angular contact bearings, I would use an ISO-22 viscosity spindle oil. Probably the most popular and easiest to obtain would be Mobil Velocite oil #10. $16.60/gal at ENCO
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=505-2002&PMPXNO=945071
JR

thanks for the info. good thing I already have a five gallon pail of velocite# 10 that I bought for the lathe and mill. now I might actually use it all in my life time.

Back