What's new
What's new

OT buying a used skid steer bob cat, things I should look out for?

alonzo83

Stainless
Found a small bob cat that I might buy, Don't really need it but the price is right and is a helluva upgrade from a snow shovel.

Just curious if any of you have any knowledge on buying used skid steers and any common things I should be aware of.

Thanks for reading,

Alonzo.

If it's hydrostatic, you need to check the drives. If possible, run the machine up against a curb or something and really push. You should be able to spin the wheels. If not, the drives are weak. That's $ to fix.

Everything else is simple mechanical stuff. Lot's of skid steers get run by careless operators. A lot of them get run out of oil or low on oil. See if it blows smoke.

What model?

We have an 825 and they are very handy indeed.

Touch engine to make sure it is COLD and see how it starts.

It is likely diesel and shouod fire right up and smoke just a bit.

Check fluids and other ususl things.

Get it outside in the clear and spin it both ways to check for loose stuff.

Time in seconds time to fully lift bucket to top of range as old pump will be slow here if worn.

Ours is slow as ours had lower output pump and yours depends on model.

Bobcat can tell you how fast it should lift.

Check all hoses for cracks.

Ours has the innerds inside the oil tank so changing some hoses are very messey and pain in butt.

See if it comes with operators and service manuals as they are great and expensive but needed for self servicing.

Rock everything looking for sloppy bushings in cylender ends and arms.

Try googling bobcat mt52 or mt55, they're way smaller than a normal skid steer and will definitely will move snow. Not sure how big your driveway or what ever is. I was thinking of getting one myself in the future.

I had a friend tell me that a bobcat is something that once you have one you will never be without one. Of course, he is a bobcat dealer. I did find that to be true when I bought a bucket tractor and then when I bought a yard forklift.

Big B

Depending on the model, inside the cab on the floor there should be two inspection plates to look into the chain drive box. If you take a peek in there it should tell you how careless the last owner was.

Curious if this skid-steer is an actual Bobcat brand? If it is, must be pretty old or pretty small to have a Kohler engine. Do you know if it has ROPS (roll cage/cab) or not? If it's really old (no ROPS) it should be REALLY cheap. Any of them are a pain to work on due to the compact design and the drive chains can be problematic if they are stretched and worn.

Is it a rubber tire or track machine?

Be aware that if has been sitting for a while, the pedals could be sticky.

Use your best judgement, do some research by finding out the model and approx year it was built so you can call a dealer to ask about parts availability, common issues with said model, etc.

Best of luck!

A friend of mine had a Kohler powered Bobcat skidsteer. They do exist.

bobcat_m___371_371_skid_steer_loader_mini_skid_steer_loader_kohler_14hp_gas_42__3_lgw.jpg

After doing some browsing. . . For 1,500 That it what i expect to find. It will fit the bill of snow shovel quite nicely.

Edit what did your friend need repaired so far?

Check for wet ends on the cylinders. Look at the rods on the hydraulic cylinders and make sure they aren't gouged or dinged up, especially near the bucket where rocks fall on them. If they are beat up, they cut or wear the seals and the cylinders leak. Seals aren't expensive, but new rods or chroming will be. Also, check the cylinder tubes for dents, creases or dings. Dings and dents in the tube cause the piston to contact the bore of the tube, which damages the seal and/or piston causing it to bypass internally and can also gall things up. See if you can pick up a good load with it and see if it will hold without leaking down.

For $1500, if it starts, moves, and lifts buy it. You probably will like it enough you will soon look for a better one.

Just don't let it become a money pit. You can't fix junk, you must be able to use it in all its junkiness. If junk bothers you and you have to fix everything, don't buy it.

I have a 530 Bobcat with a 25 HP Kohler, bought it used back in the mid 80's. The engine smoked when I got it, still smokes I just add oil. Get a set of forks you will use them. I wouldn't want to be with out it.

bobcat_m___371_371_skid_steer_loader_mini_skid_steer_loader_kohler_14hp_gas_42__3_lgw.jpg

On the early 70's models of that type, the transmission case - a welded steel box - used to crack round the stub axle mounts causing oil leaks and more problems.

Over here that size was often lifted by a crane in to the hold of a ship for pushing cargo's like grain and aggregates to the discharge point - quite a few got dropped!

Oh and over here, Kohler engine parts are :eek: money.

Be sure that the present owner is really (and legally) the owner. Sounds silly, but here in the midwest, small skid-steers are popular with thieves since they can easily be resold.

On the early 70's models of that type, the transmission case - a welded steel box - used to crack round the stub axle mounts causing oil leaks and more problems.

Over here that size was often lifted by a crane in to the hold of a ship for pushing cargo's like grain and aggregates to the discharge point - quite a few got dropped!

Oh and over here, Kohler engine parts are :eek: money.

I am buying this one from a company that cleans and repairs barges. They have dropped a few in the river over the years.

I was looking at a brochure for them and they still have an option to use a kohler engine, why anyone would chose a kohler over a kubota is beyond me.

As old as I think it is chances are i will have a hard time finding parts for the motor. If it starts giving me issues, I will buy a 20hp honda from northern tool.

I think I have already bought this thing. . .

What model?

1500 is a steel unless toast.

First thing to make (and you will be making things...) is a forklift attachment.

This is stupid simple and maybe cheap.

Ours was only 80 bucks or so complete.

Locate a forklift scrap yard or forklift dealer who sells used parts.

Look for a side shift carriage, just the part where the forks go.

Get a set of forks that fit.

Also get a back cage.

The side shift carriage is already for the forks and it usually has a roll over that allows it to hang on the forklift side.

This foldover simply rests on the quicktach top.

All you need to do is make the bottom loops for the fingers to hold it on.

You then have a light duty forklift and one hell of a tree digger...

Back