What's new
What's new

OT - Calif. Santa Rosa Fire any one else have family or a shop there?

scadvice

Titanium
My business partner just texted me about the shop which is located in the Coffee area of Santa Rosa where they keep showing the ‘before and after’ pictures of the devastation. The shop is just out of the picture in the upper right corner. He said they won’t let him go to the shop yet but looks to be untouched but surrounded by burned out areas.

Santa Rosa fire: Coffey Park photos before and after wine country fire - Business Insider

Real close…I feel for those in that neighborhood. Just talked to my sister also and she said they were evacuated for about 4 hours before they let them go back to their home. Her place is just east of Summerfield Road in Santa Rosa. Both my boys who live there are also OK and their homes are out of the fire areas.

My partner said he hasn’t heard from any of the other shops in the area as of yet. We’ve both called them but phones and cell are sporadic right now in that area.

Anyone else have people in the fire areas?

My business partner just texted me about the shop which is located in the Coffee area of Santa Rosa where they keep showing the ‘before and after’ pictures of the devastation. The shop is just out of the picture in the upper right corner. He said they won’t let him go to the shop yet but looks to be untouched but surrounded by burned out areas.

Santa Rosa fire: Coffey Park photos before and after wine country fire - Business Insider

Real close…I feel for those in that neighborhood. Just talked to my sister also and she said they were evacuated for about 4 hours before they let them go back to their home. Her place is just east of Summerfield Road in Santa Rosa. Both my boys who live there are also OK and their homes are out of the fire areas.

My partner said he hasn’t heard from any of the other shops in the area as of yet. We’ve both called them but phones and cell are sporadic right now in that area.

Anyone else have people in the fire areas?
Holly ish thats my home town and I have some family and friends still in santa rosa. Guess I will be making some calls tonight. I saw this on the news today but I did not know the extent of the damage the photos look like something out of a movie
for Coffey park.

I lived and worked in Santa Rosa for 11 years through the 90's. Our office was just South of Coffey Park. I'm pretty sure several of our friends in the hills behind Fountain Grove lost their homes. Our house was on the East side near the Flamingo. Summers were always dry as a bone but I never imagined something like this hitting the town.

I would not even try to call for at least three days. Twenty years ago when the big quake hit the area it took that long to get a landline signal to my brother 15 miles north of any damage. Cell phone towers still need a landline to connect to at some point.
The system will be overwhelmed by people calling in who should really leave the lines open for people on the ground there who need to call local numbers for help. and to coordinate stuff.
Bill D

My son lived just off Hopper Ave several years ago..that house is just ash now along with the entire neighborhood. His old girlfriend not only lost her house, her place of employment was Applebees which also burned to the ground. It truly is the flaming shits! I would hate to lose everything to a fire.

Can you imagine the number of people with no homes..where will they go? Construction in Santa Rosa and the entire affected area will go absolutely nuts in the near future.

This tragedy is probably small potatoes to things like the hurricanes back east or the catastrophe in Puerto Rico, but this tragedy is close to home so it seems more real to folks nearby.

I live 3 1/2 hours away from Santa Rosa but the sky here is full of smoke and it smells like fire. Where's the big dude in the sky when you really need him?:rolleyes5:

Stuart

Just talked to my partner. They finally were able to go to the shop, it's fine but no power at this time. This is a repeat of the 1965 fire but five times worse. He says it look like somebody fire bombed the whole area and he was amazed the shop was still there.

Glad to hear your partner and his shop are safe.

Yesterday morning my wife and I woke to our canyon filled with smoke. Turned out it was from the California fires your partner's shop was in 100 miles North. Worse smoke than when the Big Sur area (50 miles South) went up in flames. Must be one hell of a fire.

Latest I've heard is a total of 17 fires statewide for a total of 115000 acres currently burning.so far 15 deaths. I'm 200 miles from Napa and getting smoke.

I heard a day or two before the Santa Rosa fire that the entire state was under a fire warning due to high temperatures and low humidty. All the state firefighters and national guard are on mutal aide to multiple fires.
I heard about 1500 homes gone in the Santa Rosa area. Home of Charles Schultz of Peanuts.
With roughly 175,000 resident I bet this is at least 10% of the houses, gone.
Bill

Glad to hear your partner and his shop are safe.

Yesterday morning my wife and I woke to our canyon filled with smoke. Turned out it was from the California fires your partner's shop was in 100 miles North. Worse smoke than when the Big Sur area (50 miles South) went up in flames. Must be one hell of a fire.

Thanks...Pete, are you in Pine Grove off of 88? I drive by a shop up there all the time going to Kirkwood. Always thought about stopping by and saying hi.

Last edited:
Lots of smoke here at the shop (Corte Madera)
One customer for sure lost his house In Glen Ellen and another friend lost his as well...
Two fellow workers were evacuated and they don't know yet if their houses are gone as they are not allowed to return yet....

Ross

Thanks...Pete, are you in Pine Grove off of 88? I drive by a shop up there all the time going to Kirkwood. Alway thought about stopping by and saying hi.

Other direction. I'm 100 miles or so South of the fires and 50 miles North of Big Sur -- in Santa Cruz. Happy to see you if you're down this way, though. Cheers, P.

Yep sure enough a few good freinds from high school got their homes destroyed and who knows when they can return to work.
I talked to one last night and he had been evacuated at 2 in the morning, had family in san jose where he and his parents are staying now.
Never in the history of that city has this happened this bad. crazy to think that the fire blew across the valley. usually the fires burn on the hillsides.

So far my friends have gotten "lucky". First friends woke in the middle of the night to some noise. Looked out the window and saw a wall of flame coming at the house. They had to drive through a wall of fire and barely got out.

Turned out they found out their neighbor who was still up had rode the horn on his truck as he fled. Probably what woke them up and saved their lives. Came back to find his house and giant old antique car filled shop burned to the ground. Nothing left. The word has one less E-type Jag and bunches of old Triumphs and stuff.

The reverse 911 failed utterly in the area from the onset. Of the 15 deaths 7 were from their area and almost included them.

One of the occasional posters on here also had both Aunts lose their houses but luckily where already evacuated. This fire was just moving so damn fast and the wind blew the embers everywhere. There more fires than they could possibly get to. Scary stuff. He was 50 miles away in Dublin and sleeping with his windows open and woke up thinking his neighbors where burning stuff outside. The wind really spread it out.

I am in Modesto about 100 miles south and east of Santa Rosa. This afternoon the principal announced that all outdoor activities, pe and sports, are cancelled for today due to bad air quality. I need to put eyedrops in when I get home. You could see high overcast all day here some is water but most is tan clouds.

This is really bad I just had a friend send me a link to my old neighborhood and it is completely gone. We lived on Dorchester Drive in Santa Rosa. I feel so bad for all my former neighbors and friends.

I can be thankful that my son’s and sister suffered no injury and their homes escaped damage. The machine shop is standing and without damage but there are homes burned to the ground right up to it.

This link allows you to scroll around and look fairly close. It just terrible, house after house with nothing left.

Santa Rosa fires. Red '=' vegetation, not fire. More data to share? Msg me @robinkraft on Twitter. Images are from 1/12 @ around noon. Source: Digital Globe | Mapbox

Back