OT Calling Sea Farmer. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LockNut View Post
    Be safe everyone. Pay attention, don't assume symptoms might only be a cold. Get checked early.
    l
    Since unlike pneumonia the flu is caused by a virus, I wonder other than bed rest and plenty of fluids is there really anything that can be done to prevent certain strains of it to not kill you once they have taken hold ?

I had pneumonia for the first time in my life in July when my wife was in her final days of cancer...I presume from the extreme stress of that....felt a bit off for,a,couple of days but third day went from 99 degrees to,104.5 degrees in a couple of hours..felt absolutely horrible. But one antibiotic and I was well the next day.
    But flu.....antibiotic won't do a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Since unlike pneumonia the flu is caused by a virus, I wonder other than bed rest and plenty of fluids is there really anything that can be done to prevent certain strains of it to not kill you once they have taken hold ?
    Sometimes I wonder if the cold "remedies", which I use to help to keep functioning during a cold, when I should be resting, don't work against a person in a situation like this.

3. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had pneumonia for the first time in my life in July when my wife was in her final days of cancer...I presume from the extreme stress of that....felt a bit off for,a,couple of days but third day went from 99 degrees to,104.5 degrees in a couple of hours..felt absolutely horrible. But one antibiotic and I was well the next day.

Once you get it the best thing to do is rest, it's people that keep pushing on that get in real trouble I think. Them and the elderly, young, weak etc.

Of course the best thing you can do is not get it in the first place, I carry a little bottle of hand sanitizer with me everywhere and try to make a conscious effort not to touch my face when out and about. If I happen to sit beside someone who is obviously sick I move! No offence but...

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just reading about this now, sorry to hear it.
    RIP Sea Farmer.

^^^ What Terry said....make a conscious effort to not touch your eyes, or nose
    when out and about in public this time of year. Soon as I get home, I head
    straight to the sink and wash my hands. Just started with the sanitizer bottle in
    the car as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if the cold "remedies", which I use to help to keep functioning during a cold, when I should be resting, don't work against a person in a situation like this.
    They don't all the so called cold and fly remedies do is treat and relieve the symptoms .

As for carrying on? .......as I have said before in the shot thread, if you have ''full blown'' influenza, you can not keep functioning, IME it's all you'll be able to do to get out of bed to use the bathroom.

Influenza is a killer - FACT! ........as are complications caused by it - FACT ! ..........and the sooner ALL folk wake up to those FACTS - the better.

7. Likes dkmc, tim9lives, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Influenza Treatment Guidelines from the Center for Disease Control:

Influenza Antiviral Medications: Summary for Clinicians | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Summary of Influenza Antiviral Treatment Recommendations

• Clinical trials and observational data show that early antiviral treatment can shorten the duration of fever and illness symptoms, and may reduce the risk of complications from influenza (e.g., otitis media in young children, pneumonia, and respiratory failure).
      • Early treatment of hospitalized adult influenza patients has been reported to reduce death.
      • In hospitalized children, early antiviral treatment has been reported to shorten the duration of hospitalization.
      • Clinical benefit is greatest when antiviral treatment is administered early, especially within 48 hours of influenza illness onset.

• Antiviral treatment is recommended as early as possible for any patient with confirmed or suspected influenza who:
      • is hospitalized;
      • has severe, complicated, or progressive illness; or
      • is at higher risk for influenza complications.

• Antiviral treatment also can be considered for any previously healthy, symptomatic outpatient not at high risk with confirmed or suspected influenza on the basis of clinical judgment, if treatment can be initiated within 48 hours of illness onset.

Persons at higher risk for influenza complications recommended for antiviral treatment include:

• children aged younger than 2 years;1
    • adults aged 65 years and older;
    • persons with chronic pulmonary (including asthma), cardiovascular (except hypertension alone), renal, hepatic, hematological (including sickle cell disease), and metabolic disorders (including diabetes mellitus), or neurologic and neurodevelopment conditions (including disorders of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerve, and muscle, such as cerebral palsy, epilepsy [seizure disorders], stroke, intellectual disability, moderate to severe developmental delay, muscular dystrophy, or spinal cord injury);
    • persons with immunosuppression, including that caused by medications or by HIV infection;
    • women who are pregnant or postpartum (within 2 weeks after delivery);
    • persons aged younger than 19 years who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy;
    • American Indians/Alaska Natives;
    • persons who are morbidly obese (i.e., body mass index is equal to or greater than 40); and
    • residents of nursing homes and other chronic care facilities.

Denis

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some food for thought; approximately 30% the human genome is fragments of retrovirus DNA. What does that mean? I guess whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is really sad news. R.I.P. Sea Farmer.
    Reading about his passing from the flu is scary as hell in my opinion. I have a feeling that it's just a matter of time before the world has another flu like the 1918 pandemic. From the news reports I certainly hope this year's flu isn't it. Probably not, but maybe this year is just the preview of what's to come.
    In any case, I went from feeling just fine one day to coughing up green flem the next morning. It went straight to my chest and has knocked the crap out of me. And although I haven't been a fan of getting a flu shot in the past, I can assure you that I'll make a point to get one every year going forward. This thread has been eye-opening.

1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia
    Excerpt from Wiki link above

The 1918 flu pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920) was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus. It infected 500 million people around the world, including remote Pacific islands and the Arctic, and resulted in the deaths of 50 to 100 million (three to five percent of the world's population), making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history. Disease had already greatly limited life expectancy in the early 20th century. A considerable spike occurred in the first year of the pandemic. Life expectancy in the United States dropped by about 12 years.

Most influenza outbreaks disproportionately kill juvenile, elderly, or already weakened patients; in contrast, the 1918 pandemic predominantly killed previously healthy young adults

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can the admin change the title to RIP. Some people that would like to know, may not follow the thread with its current title??

Jon P.

12. Likes Limy Sami, paul39 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are missing the big picture.

Bacteria, such as the ones that cause pneumonia, are always present. Normally the immune system keeps the populations sufficiently low that you are not aware that they are present. When you acquire a virus or other infection the immune system will take three days from the time that a foreign protein is detected to develop a full response. If you have already been exposed to the virus it takes one day to develop a full response. It may then take another two weeks to reduce the virus population to safe levels. By the time this process is complete your immune system is no longer capable of keeping the normal bacteria populations at safe levels. The bacteria take advantage of the weakened immune system to rapidly expand their population. The host survives the primary infection of the virus but dies from the secondary bacterial infection.

Taking drugs that suppress the immune system for temporary relief can make the situation much worse. Taking antibiotics in anticipation of a infection can also make things worse. The majority of the bacteria present in the host are harmless. They serve the important function of keeping the harmful ones in check by competing for nutrition and other resources. A general purpose antibiotic will reduce the large harmless population and permit the harmful population to rapidly expand.

The advantage of a successful immunization is that the immune system only has a one day delay to respond to the infection. The virus population is brought under control before it reaches harmful levels. The host may not even be aware that a infection took place.

If you are a older person with the flu you and your doctor need to be prepared for the secondary infection.

Robert

14. Likes Milacron, motion guru liked this post