What's new
What's new

OT: Travel to and from The Philippines?

Ralph_P

Stainless
A friend is going to The Philippines and back next month. North of Manila. There have been reports of airport security personal planting items such as ammo or drugs in passengers luggage and extorting money. The payoff is to keep the passenger from being arrested. What little info I've found about it suggest there's a connection from the airport security all the way to the courts. I think this is mostly with carry-on luggage.

Do any of you guys have any information about this and most important how to protect against it.

Last edited:
Look like a bum.. Like I look all the time. Probably best if he can smell like bologna or chicken soup (the canned kind).

My biggest concern flying over there... probably going through Tokyo. NO BARS!!!!

Buy your beer at the convenience store in the airport and sit around like everybody else drinking your beer. Very
anti-social. The smoking rooms on the other hand (if they still have them).. I met and had some very good conversations
with some very interesting people from all over the world. I had some VERY LONG layovers in Tokyo. I also found the
same to be true in Taipei.

never a good ideal when traveling to ever have any bag out of sight even for one second. i have had stuff taken from my back pack on my back walking through a busy city in China. do not even have stuff behind you where you cannot see.
a good pick pocket you will never know it happened until too late

There was an article about this in Time magazine.

In any airport the right thing is to be professional and business-like at all times. Criminals target people who look wealthy, disorganized and stupid. If you match only 1 of these criteria (or none of them) you will not be targetted.

Another tip is to travel in a group or at least in a pair so you have a witness if something happens.

Back