What's new
What's new

Is my Wohlhaupter damaged?

ions82

Stainless
Hello!

I have a Wohlhaupter UPA 2 that I got when trading a bunch of other tools. I've had it for a couple years but have never needed it until now. It has an MT2 shank, but I turned down an MT2/MT3 adapter sleeve so the boring head could have a straight .750.

Anyway, in trying to use the head, I am getting some horrible chatter (cutting 6061). I've tried different bars, different rake angles, shorter, longer... I've checked everything I can think of to make sure it is tight. It chatters no matter the speed, feed, or DOC. I have come to the conclusion that the head has something wrong with it. It looks like the body has quite a bit of runout, but trying to "dead-eye" a spinning boring head certainly isn't the best assessment. The feed on the head itself feels fine. It has boring AND facing capabilities, so I'm not sure if there is just some sort of special nuances to the setup that I am just overlooking. It seems to me that, if everything is locked down and held in place, it should be cutting better than it is. Any ideas?

It's a beautiful tool that sure looks nice. I hope it isn't toast and that it's just a matter of knowing how to set it up. Although these units are nice, I would be much happier with a boring head that didn't have so many bells and whistles.

Boring bar

Try a diffrent boring bar use one that came with it, or one designed for boring heads, not a lathe boring bar- wrong end relief= bad chatter.

Back