What's new
What's new

Ball End mill speeds

rmw

Cast Iron
How fast should one run a 1/2" ball endmill? Since the whole edge is doing the cutting from it's center to the outer diameter, it seems you're either too fast or too slow. The material is 1/2" thick CRS, and I need to dish out the edge full depth (1/4").
Thanks, Greg

Ideally you should figure out the sfpm at the WORKING dia, in your case it is going to be a comprimise. I would personally shoot for the higher end in mild steel. In any case, as you said you will be either too fast or too slow.

That's what I thought. I guess if the higher speed is used and the feed is kept slow, the center will still be removing chips at an acceptable if compromised rate.
Thanks, Greg

For the sake of simplicity I always used the outer dia for rpm calculations, if you end up sitting there watching the machine cut then you have time to measure and calculate the actual cutting dia :-). At the very center it is running 0 rpm anyway, and we cannot ever get over that hurdle ;-)

Bill

How fast should one run a 1/2" ball endmill? Since the whole edge is doing the cutting from it's center to the outer diameter, it seems you're either too fast or too slow. The material is 1/2" thick CRS, and I need to dish out the edge full depth (1/4").
Thanks, Greg

I took a series of machining classes at a community college in CA years ago. The simple guidance given for cutting steel with HSS was 100sfm at the largest diameter. Approximating pi allows the simple formula of 4 x cutting speed (sfm) / diameter (inches).

For form cutters like your ball endmill, the recommendation was to cut that rpm in half. I think part of that guidance was to skew towards longer cutter life for a more expensive cutter.

John

Important consideration for a ball end mill is feed rate. Along with that decreased surface speed toward the center goes increased chip load. Start your feed at half what you would use for a similar straight cutter in the same material, at the same rpm.

There's alotta ways you can approach that situation. Since most likely your doin this on a manual machine, run the RPMs up till the chips start to discolor and back it off some.

I've also had trouble figuring out an "optimal" SPM on ballnose E.M.s

Luckily with CAD/CAM and on a CNC I can rough out evrything with a flat E.M. then go back and "surface" the rest with a ballnose.

Just remember there's basically Zero surface speed at the tip, and the full/Dia. calculated SPM when at full depth. So.... at half the depth/diameter cut you can ALMOST double the RPM's.

Just Play with it a little and you'll be fine:)

Back