What's new
What's new

OT- Children & Machine Tools

projectnut

Stainless
Several years ago I was given a 1939 "Model Makers Lathe". It sat in a corner of the basement for some time in need of a little TLC. Recently I decided to bring it back to life and try to find it a good home. It's nearing the finishing stages with a few obvious exceptions, like guarding yet to be completed. I was looking at the possibility to give it to a couple of my nephews. Both show extreme interests in all things mechanical. However I believe they are way too young to be let loose with any kind of powered machinery.

Like any learning process I would think the first stage would be to watch and help "Dad" create things. Later on moving to operating the machine with vigilant adult supervision, and finally operating the machine with minimal adult supervision. At what age do you believe a child could be introduced to these types tools.

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 390
For the "average" child, I'd say around ten, with supervision. For one that's already shown aptitude and has used hand drills and such safely, perhaps eight. I don't think I'd go much younger with a responsible adult (that rules me out) paying constant attention along with the child.

Of course, there's plenty of grown-ups that shouldn't be allowed within a hundred meters of some machines, so it's really very much a personality/interest/intelligence/wisdom situation, and so variable.

Well I was using a lathe and mill at the age of 9/10 ... I think it depends on what environment the child has grown up in.

Dare I say in this modern age we wrap our kids up in cotton wool and Health and Safety is so OTT ... maybe I'm just getting old:codger:

I think only you can make that decission and you don't mention the ages of your nephews ... you can fit as many guards as you like but the lathe can still bite (loose clothing caught in a chuck, chuck key left in the chuck on start etc etc ...)

John:typing:

You might start by giving them a toolbox -- see how they take to hand tools.

Personally, I think every family (for their kids) should have a pair of digital calipers, a VOM, a microscope, a telescope, hand tools . . .

You might start by giving them a toolbox -- see how they take to hand tools.

Personally, I think every family (for their kids) should have a pair of digital calipers, a VOM, a microscope, a telescope, hand tools . . .

I would add to the above a rifle and the book(s) The boy mechanic..........Bob

My daughters were using machinery by time they were 9 (now 18/21). They did the required set up and work. I was with them explaining what/why/how, but they did everything. Teach them early to RESPECT the machines and they will be safer (until they too cut corners and rush) than most adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If one considers the typical apprentice program took about 7 years and by the age of 21 you were ready to be on your own, the typical age to enter an apprentice program would be about 14. I'm sure there were variables.

Bob
WB8NQW

Last week I had my 6 year old daughter pushing the foot pedals on my sheet metal punch while I loaded and unloaded the parts. She loved it.

I would say around 10-12. I put an emphasis on what NOT to do and to respect the machine. There's a video on youtube of a guy getting flipped over a machine when he gets caught in the chuck for being stupid. I show them that as an example. There are far more graphic ones out there as well.

the other day I had a 20 something ask me for a crescent wrench when what he actually wanted was a 1/2" ratchet.
sooo
I would say about 30
or maybe never
just throw it in the back yard and give the kids a Nintendo

I grew up in a shop, all the way from birth.

I spent a huge amount of time in the shop, slowly being allowed to use more and more. But because I grew up it wasn't intimidating, and I was very aware of the dangers. I was running a wire feeder at 9, I Turned my first part out of wood at 6-7. (with a pallet to stand on). As memory serves I was sort of let loose, I at least want to think the old man was there watching over my shoulder, but I have no memory of that.

I still hurt myself from time to time. That is a part of living. As an earlier poster said, we raise our kids to be scared of everything and cautious about what hasn't happened yet, it's sickening. Safety first, make stuff from the Earth into something awesome second.

R

If one considers the typical apprentice program took about 7 years and by the age of 21 you were ready to be on your own, the typical age to enter an apprentice program would be about 14. I'm sure there were variables.

Bob
WB8NQW

Fourteen was when the first of several true "Master" machinists & Toolmakers I have been privileged to learn from - age 15 onward as PAID, earlier yet in school, meself - had entered his formal apprenticeship.

Seemed standard at the time - a few years prior to outbreak of World War One.

OTOH, it had been about the same age for centuries - even multiple millennia - in all manner of "technical" crafts, guilds, and major blue-water seafaring. Earlier in chronological age yet for agriculture, animal husbandry, near-shore and inland fishing.

Any kid who can feed chickens, pick fruit, gather nuts and berries, tend a herd or flock, cut bait and bait a hook, coil a line, help weave textiles, gather wood, tend a fire, carry water, hoe a row, dispose of offal or trash, or simply be eyes and ears to sound an alarm freed-up an adult for the harder stuff and heavier lifting.

Humanity has had "child labour", and usefully so, from Big Bang onward simply so families and tribes could survive.

Folks could not afford to waste any resource or asset.

Why do we think we are so different, now? DNA has changed somehow?

Start 'em off with a hammer, nails, and some 2x4. Survey the ensuing carnage, or lack of the same. Screws and screwdrivers next. Then crank-style hand drill. See how that stuff goes. Hand saw. Chisels, planes. Files. Then nuts, bolts, wrenches (like an Erector set). Drill press before corded or cordless drill. See if they remember and apply safety equipment and operation concepts on little stuff. And for the OP in particular, make sure Dad is qualified both to operate and teach/monitor.

Chip

I was the youngest of seven born in the early 60's. Got my start changing oil in my brothers cars in third grade for a quarter. My Dad was my influence. His mom, my Grandmother ran a boarding house and I was his helper whenever the old wringer washer died. I think I learned too quick. Every time anyone of my older brothers bought a house I was recruited to pull up carpet wash walls pull wire etc. Now those bastards are to old to help me. Now kids are so wrapped up in getting good grades "hands on" is not a big time budget. I tried with my son and for the time we had and he learned pretty quick. I keep telling my wife that we are the last of the do it yourself breed. From where I sit not to many people will take anything big on. I guess they're just scared or they let someone blow smoke up their ass that "you can't do that, only a professional can fix that". Just my 2 cents. As far as an age, depends on the youngster. I know grown men I wouldn't trust with an egg beater drill!

Robert Heinlein said

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

A young couple has recently moved into a new house next to mine, rather upscale for the neighborhood. They have a cleaning service and had their Christmas lights installed by professionals. One day the man commented on how nice the neighbor on the other side was. A piece of wood needed to be cut off so the neighbor got his saw and cut it. This was related with a certain sense of wonder that he used his own saw and did it himself instead of calling a wood cutting service. When I asked what he did, he replied that he writes fine print, the stuff you have to wade through at the end of a contract.

He obviously makes a lot more money than I ever did.

Bill

Back