What's new
What's new

OT Chinaspammer wants my business

Ray Behner

Diamond
Anyone else hear from ol' Tina? Got this in "notifications" this morning:

At least she was nice enough to wish me good "monring" and as I do cut "the" aluminum, I'll put in a big fat order.

Default Carbide inserts and endmills for machining the aluminum
Dear Mr. Ray Behner,

Goodmonring!

This is Tina from ZHUZHOU MAOXIANG CEMENTED CARBIDE CO.,LTD.

Our factory located in China, and we mainly produce carbide inserts and carbide endmills for cutting the aluminium.

Should you have requirement for these tools.

Welcome to contact with us, also we could offer solutions for the tools we offered.

Best wishes,

Tina

Email: [email protected]

Anyone else hear from ol' Tina? Got this in "notifications" this morning:

At least she was nice enough to wish me good "monring" and as I do cut "the" aluminum, I'll put in a big fat order.
Spammer, unfortunately, real company actually, but with an annual turnover only a fraction of what I've had to deliver in mere departmental budget CUTS and still see that unit hit its goals?

Not MUCH of a real company.

Not even if all they do is put stickey-labels on some other firms' QC rejects of cemented carbides.

1.0 to 2.5 million USD$ annual turnover is about what an off-brand gas station and mini-mart grosses. In a really poor traffic location. On 2-lane backwoods blacktop. With a dirt carpark. Full of mudholes. On bootleg cigarettes alone.

Having massive Dalian Top Eastern take over the drills biz is one thing.

When China's country store, chicken-feed, cough-syrup, dried cabbage, and part-time post-office trade comes after us as customers from 8,000 miles away?

BOTH countries must be in pretty damned desperate economic times.

:(

Ray,

I was intrigued by your post and did a bit of sleuthing. The note you received from 'Tina' was chopped 'Chinglish' for sure, but the factory in China for that company sure looks legit on this video..it even notes Tina's name on the heading.

Zhuzhou May & Xiang Carbide Tools Co ,LTD - YouTube

It sure doesn't look like the inserts are made from pressed fortune cookies..not "American", but maybe OK!

Stuart

It sure doesn't look like the inserts are made from pressed fortune cookies..not "American", but maybe OK!

Stuart

Pull up the Chinese precis, Stuart.

Right side. Note annual turnover of US$1 million to $2.5 million.

How much Carbide processing equipment d'you suppose a ten percent of gross sales retention of earnings on that figure will pay for the acquisition and support of?

Tough go. Anywhere.

"Fortune" cookies aren't actually a "Chinese thing", but bakers who make what they DO eat have more invested and far larger annual turnovers.

Some family members have individual salaries higher than that. Not everyone in China is a muddy-legged rice farmer, after all.

Unfortunately from the tone of a lot of posts on this forum a large section of the population seems to be able to justify their purchase of cheap goods no matter what the quality is. Some times it's off brand hand tools compared to brands that have stood the test of time for nearly a century, some times clothing in the same way and surely cutting tools. I can only imagine these are amateurs that haven't thought things through or haven't experienced enough to realize the folly of their thinking, only that it satisfies a small budget.
Dan

Unfortunately from the tone of a lot of posts on this forum a large section of the population seems to be able to justify their purchase of cheap goods no matter what the quality is. Some times it's off brand hand tools compared to brands that have stood the test of time for nearly a century, some times clothing in the same way and surely cutting tools. I can only imagine these are amateurs that haven't thought things through or haven't experienced enough to realize the folly of their thinking, only that it satisfies a small budget.
Dan

The justification is finding out whether the quality of the competitor product is adequate. That is a risk, for sure, but there's also no sense in being ripped off just going by brand name. Where do you think a 'brand' gets its reputation from? It has to be put out there and used and approved by an adequate number of people.

I can only imagine these are amateurs that haven't thought things through or haven't experienced enough to realize the folly of their thinking, only that it satisfies a small budget.
Dan

If only that were the case.

I'd posit that that "amateurs" - let's just say "the unaware", aren't the half of it.

That most buyers DO know they've rolled-dice. They just want to minimize that spend NOW so they can buy some other thing. The item they purchasedd does not fail them right away, lasts a bit longer than they had a right to expect?

What a GENIUS I was to by that bargain!

And then repeat that in future, gradually lowering their expectations so they can still "feel good" about how much they have saved.

If only that were the case.

I'd posit that that "amateurs" - let's just say "the unaware", aren't the half of it.

That most buyers DO know they've rolled-dice. They just want to minimize that spend NOW so they can buy some other thing. The item they purchasedd does not fail them right away, lasts a bit longer than they had a right to expect?

What a GENIUS I was to by that bargain!

And then repeat that in future, gradually lowering their expectations so they can still "feel good" about how much they have saved.
If my 8 dollar pry bars last 1 tenth as long as my 80 dollar snap on bars I’m even...but only if I go through 10 sets, otherwise I’m ahead.

Dan

I like some of the Chinese inserts i have used, most of the polished upsharp aluminium inserts have performed really well for me and cost about 1/5th of similar branded over here in the uk. yep some were total shit, some the odd insert corner is bad new out the box but lots of mid value chinese tooling and inserts have proven there worth to me. Certainly in lots of cases buying American - sandvick is not worth the 5-10X cost difference. You want me to spend 10x as much, the insert needs to deliver this difference and im not seeing that, at best im seeing about 30% more tool life with branded non Chinese inserts, to me with what i do thats not worth paying 500%+ more to gain 30% tool life!

If my 8 dollar pry bars last 1 tenth as long as my 80 dollar snap on bars I’m even...but only if I go through 10 sets, otherwise I’m ahead.

Not a good comparison. You were already a genius, told yerself so ahead of time.

$80 Snap-On "pry bar"? Snap-on TOOLS have only ever been value-for-money for Bull Dykes anyway. Must have had another one of those "lost weekends"??

There were always better values for hand tools made right here in America and still are.

Drills and inserts are a better comparison. One can "baby" a cheap socket, end-wrench, or pry bar easily.

Not so easy with cutting-tools, collets, lathe chucks, milling vises, or metrology, any type. They are wot they are, and it is soon apparent in actual use.

When out of state recently, my car suffered a hiccup. No tools at all with me.My sister took me to Harbor Freight and I bought a cheap socket set and a set of metric wrenches. Total price? $32. Fixed my car cheaper than any wrecker service. What I bought, I already had brand name at home. but alas, I wasn't at home. So, the moral of the story is sometimes it pays to buy cheap shit. I could throw them away and still come out ahead.

At least vaughn pry bars are made in the US, watched a mr pete vist on youtube, snap on might not be made in the US as they have plants in good ol china i read (unconfirmed so open to correction) i do know sandvick manufacture in china,
Mark

When out of state recently, my car suffered a hiccup. No tools at all with me.My sister took me to Harbor Freight and I bought a cheap socket set and a set of metric wrenches. Total price? $32. Fixed my car cheaper than any wrecker service. What I bought, I already had brand name at home. but alas, I wasn't at home. So, the moral of the story is sometimes it pays to buy cheap shit. I could throw them away and still come out ahead.

I tend to stash tools IN each motorcar.

HF? Just buy the "impact" 6-point sockets and use them by hand. You'll not break one of those that way. Who gives a FF about Chrome plate on an "emergency fall back" set, anyway?

I tend to stash tools IN each motorcar.

HF? Just buy the "impact" 6-point sockets and use them by hand. You'll not break one of those that way. Who gives a FF about Chrome plate on an "emergency fall back" set, anyway?

That was a fast leave due to death of my mother. I also usually take a stash with me. Being in a hurry, I did not do that. That one time bit me in the ass.

Not a good comparison. You were already a genius, told yerself so ahead of time.

$80 Snap-On "pry bar"? Snap-on TOOLS have only ever been value-for-money for Bull Dykes anyway. Must have had another one of those "lost weekends"??

There were always better values for hand tools made right here in America and still are.

Drills and inserts are a better comparison. One can "baby" a cheap socket, end-wrench, or pry bar easily.

Not so easy with cutting-tools, collets, lathe chucks, milling vises, or metrology, any type. They are wot they are, and it is soon apparent in actual use.

Comparison is still valid.
Cheap is fine sometimes.

As for snap on.
Time was they were superior tool than most.
These days a set of Kobalt brand are just fine.
Better in fact than snappy thirty years ago.
Same for tool boxes, even a mediocre bearing lol box is way ahead of the expensive stuff a couple decades ago.

I buy what is appropriate.

That was a fast leave due to death of my mother. I also usually take a stash with me. Being in a hurry, I did not do that. That one time bit me in the ass.

Nah.. when I buy it. Wrapped and stashed around the spare tire well, underhood, wotever. Tie-wraps and padding if need be. Old GI habit. "Prescribed Load List". There'd be one air hose per three 5T trucks, one set of spare light bulbs for every four. Stuff like that.

With but the one vehicle under my arse instead of a "convoy", the basics have to go in each.
OBDC's too. These days, they get far more use than wrenches do. XJ8-L has "only" five computers, but its a 2005 model.

Lybarger's Corollary to Sod's Law sez you can be right next to a parts store, but it will be 2 AM and the nearest Motel 30 miles down the road, no mobile coverage, etc.

And Lybarger was right, every single time I have had a "road episode".

Repairs needed before you leave the driveway and have multiple toolchests of good S-K's to-hand, we never much remember having to do. Human nature, etc.

I carry that set under the seat of every vehicle I own, the "1/4 3/8 1/2
socket set SAE/METRIC" one.
I also buy (when on sale) the "Serpentine belt removal wrench set"
toss the un-needed, and stow thee appropriate tools under the seat as well.
The free 6 pc screwdriver set, and free DMM round out the collection.

Couple of years ago, grabbed the company van, set off with qty (3) engineers
to a shop about 2 hours away....just before I left, I grabbed that socket
set from my truck. Got some looks for sure.

30 minutes in to the drive, Dodge's finest caravan Right rear brake caliper
starts telling me (in no uncertain terms) that it's locked up.

The qty (2) young engineers try to "download a u-toob video" to "help"...:skep:

I get the old timer passenger to jack up and remove the wheel, ( he didn't need
a video, nor any printed instruction manual....) thence I proceed
to remove the offending caliper (nicely cooled with some water from the
nearby ditch....) and remove the pads.

Re-install caliper and we continued on.

BTW didja ever notice the adverts for the cellular phone companies ?
What with their "99% coverage" maps ?

See those spots just south of NY state ?

Yup. That's where we had our little "breakdown".

No coverage/no signal.

Dan

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. “

Benjamin Franklin

I haven’t had to carry tools since I grew up and started driving reliable cars.
I do still keep a break down rifle in the spare well.

Never know when i night need to put a deer down again.

Back