What's new
What's new

Machinery / equipment rigging

Ship building lifts are light for their volume but given their size quite heavy in real terms. Damage given the scale should be relatively light. I would expect that once the shouting stopped and the injured and dead looked after it wouldn't take long for the fab shop to make repairs. The re-certifying the crane and after accident reporting might take more time than the actual fix.

This is a lesson that even good riggers can make mistakes and its a good idea to stand clear of lifts in progress. I recall standing in frozen horror while Victor Stepper coped with a 35 ton ship's propellor that managed to thrust a blade into the cables (parts) of a crane hook in the process of inverting the prop. He came within an ace of toppling the prop backwards over vertical and into a brick wall. It was a tense 5 minutes and I for once kept my mouth shut. Victor solved the problem in the middle of a vast and respectful silence. My hat's off to the man even after 24 years.

I can't be critical.........

I lost control of ONE machine in my time.
My own.:(

I worked near the edge of the envelope as they say.
In perspective ..........

It's allot easier to take every last precaution........
"When some-one else is paying for all of them".

My move, my time, my money.
so I ..........;)

m1m

Looks to me like equipment failure compounded by the operator not noticing. One cable seems to be lowering while the other doe not. One is jamed or the other free wheeling whichever should have come to the operators attention. I am not pointing fingers here as I sure have made my share of mistakes...
Bill

Good Enough / Close Enough / and the ALL TIME

F--- it , Fake it !!!! I used to know and did some work with a guy that used that expression and THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HE DID TOO. I didn't work much with or around him .

JerryL

Back