What's new
What's new

OT- Dealer programming a modern auto key replacement

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Only got one FOB key with recent 2014 Chrysler Town & Country mini van. Can buy another on eBay for as low as 13 bucks but supposedly with that year, self programming is impossible and must be done by the dealer. So the questions are

1. Will dealer fret about the fact I didn't buy the new key from them ?

2. Typical cost to program the new key ?

FWIW, this is what it looks like....

Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob for Town Country Grand Caravan Routan 5but Panic | eBay

Better check with the dealer, my neighbor said the dealer would not program an aftermarket one. BTW, don't keep that thing too long, it will end up with "dodge disease" according to 1 sister and 2 brothers that owned Chrysler products. What is Dodge disease you say? That's when an endless amount of things fall off or break one thing after another. just little pita stuff, driver side window lift, gas gauge, one or two lights out, air leak causes a whistle at speed, heater controls, coolant leaks, check engine light on with no code, good luck!

Better check with the dealer, my neighbor said the dealer would not program an aftermarket one. BTW, don't keep that thing too long, it will end up with "dodge disease" according to 1 sister and 2 brothers that owned Chrysler products. What is Dodge disease you say? That's when an endless amount of things fall off or break one thing after another. just little pita stuff, driver side window lift, gas gauge, one or two lights out, air leak causes a whistle at speed, heater controls, coolant leaks, check engine light on with no code, good luck!

Funny we have 3 TC in our family and the kids drive the crap out of them. They just keep going and going and we spend very little on them. Older ones, 00 02 06, they wont die.

Funny we have 3 TC in our family and the kids drive the crap out of them. They just keep going and going and we spend very little on them. Older ones, 00 02 06, they wont die.
I never had any trouble with my 2007 Dodge 3500 diesel dually truck....except one thing... after about 65K miles just gentle cruising down a typical 45 mph city road the spare tire just dropped out from under the bed ! Guy behind me saw it happen but wasn't able to get my attention until another mile down the road. Went back to get it and it was gone....someone didn't just move it, but took it with them apparently.

Pretty sure I never used the spare or messed with the bracket that held it, plus not in snow country so serious rust unlikely... a mystery I might could have solved if I looked close enough, but figured being a dually didn't half need a spare anyway and just forgot about it. (until it came time to sell it !)

========================================================================

Re the make of minivan, rather have bought a Honda but far as I know this is the only make where you can stow all the rear seats without removing them...that was the prime directive. Plus hoped by 2014 they would have fixed most of the kinks of previous year models. Drivetrain is warrantied for 5 years, 100,000 miles. (this one has 41,000 miles)

But I can see the possibilities of things going wrong as they are such complex vehicles, with all power sliding doors, power rear hatch, DVD player screens, etc, etc

I've known several people that drove that type of minivan...... It's good to sell it, before it becomes a money pit...
That's pretty much meaningless without knowing the model year they drove and mileage. Plus, what does that have to do with my actual question ?

Looks like 2008-2010 were particularly bad years for the T&C... there was a major design change in 2011. Discontinued in 2015, 2016 and newer are redesigned Pacifica vans.

Chrysler Town & Country vs. Honda Odyssey Reliability by Model Generation | TrueDelta

I don't know about post MB Fiat / Chrysler but, MB keys can't be reprogramed. You need a virgin key or remove and replace the e-prom from another key. Most electronic key fobs are not done at the dealers but, a central coding facility. Some locksmiths can program new keys but, I have found they charge more than a dealer. There is no real low cost option for most newer key fobs.

Steve

I don't know about post MB Fiat / Chrysler but, MB keys can't be reprogramed. You need a virgin key or remove and replace the e-prom from another key. Most electronic key fobs are not done at the dealers but, a central coding facility. Some locksmiths can program new keys but, I have found they charge more than a dealer. There is no real low cost option for most newer key fobs.
I didn't ask about reprogramming, I asked about programming (a virgin key, as you put it)

Better check with the dealer, my neighbor said the dealer would not program an aftermarket one.
I was afraid of that but hoping the fact that I bought the vehicle from the same dealer that would be doing the programming might help in that regard. After all, in a way it was their fault I only got one key with it in the first place.

I didn't ask about reprogramming, I asked about programming (a virgin key, as you put it)

I didn't specifically say "your key" many folks ignorantly get used keys off ebay. If FCAG works like the other car makes, there is a central location that supplies keys. The dealer simply orders the key, they have no ability to program keys at the local level. As I mentioned there are locksmiths that can program keys locally, they are mercenary in price.

I have a great working relationship with several dealers and, could not supply a new factory key fob to them for programming. I even considered buying an EIS readers to do keys myself, about 10 keys is break even. It is a big revenue source for the companies with no real competition.

Steve

A friend of mine has a caravan with over 600,000 miles on the original engine. Pretty amazing. He had to rebuild the transmission at about 500,000 miles.

No input on the key though, sorry.

While you are getting the special key made also get a few dumb keys cut. I keep one in my wallet. that way I can open the truck to get the smart key locked inside. The dumb key will let me in, it will not start the engine and unless I start the engine in 30 seconds, with the smart key, the alarm will go off.
Bill D

Is the key a tumbler key? The info I posted is for electronic key fobs. I had no idea it is a regular key, the dealer or lock shop can code the transponder on these with no issue.
Most modern electronic key FOB's have a regular key (albeit with a embedded chip) hidden inside them* to be removed in case the battery goes too low in the FOB. Did you not click on the link I provided in post no. 1 ??

*To access the regular blade it is typical to move a tiny slide switch which then allows you to extract the hidden key blade.

While you are getting the special key made also get a few dumb keys cut. I keep one in my wallet. that way I can open the truck to get the smart key locked inside. The dumb key will let me in, it will not start the engine and unless I start the engine in 30 seconds, with the smart key, the alarm will go off.
Bill D
Been there, done that. Good to have a "door opener only" key hidden in a magnetic key holder somewhere underneath the vehicle (except still better to epoxy the key box in place in case the magnet is not strong enough in rough conditions)

A friend of mine has a caravan with over 600,000 miles on the original engine. Pretty amazing. He had to rebuild the transmission at about 500,000 miles.
That is amazing...but to be fair, with every vehicle model where tens of thousands of them are sold there are always lemons and diamonds in the mix that effects folks overall opinion of the vehicle make. Not to mention how model and year specific the quality can be.

Most modern electronic key FOB's have a regular key (albeit with a embedded chip) hidden inside them* to be removed in case the battery goes too low in the FOB. Did you not click on the link I provided in post no. 1 ??

*To access the regular blade it is typical to move a tiny slide switch which then allows you to extract the hidden key blade.

To be honest I didn't see it as a link until you mentioned it. That IS a MB type gen3 key fob, AFAIK they are coded at a central location. The factory has the EIS information for your car, a lock shop or dealer would need an EIS reader and key fob programmer to code the fob. The blade key is not an issue, many lock shops can cut them.

Steve

T The blade key is not an issue, many lock shops can cut them.
Of course it's not an issue.... I only mentioned it as a reason buying a used FOB of this nature isn't going to happen...you can cut a blank but you sure as heck can't cut a blade that has already been cut to fit another vehicle to fit your vehicle.

Back