What's new
What's new

Issues Ordering from Starrett

Mirage_88

Plastic
Anyone else have issues ordering ordering from Starrett's website? Trying to place an order for a couple items and I can't select Canada as my region or for the billing and shipping info. So I tried to call their toll free number and I get this message "this number is not available in your area".

Anyone else have issues ordering ordering from Starrett's website? Trying to place an order for a couple items and I can't select Canada as my region or for the billing and shipping info. So I tried to call their toll free number and I get this message "this number is not available in your area".
some places you need to put 1 in front of number like 1-800-123-4567 ??? for long distance call

They could be forcing you to go through a distributor. I'd personally buy the Mitutoyo equivalent of whatever Starrett product you're looking to buy anyways.

Sounds like Starrett is not interested in direct sales to Canada.

CarlBoyd

there are many manufacturers that charge $150. just to fill out the paperwork on a order besides the cost of what you are actually ordering and shipping costs. if you order over $1000. at an extra 15% discount than the $150 charge is worth it and you still save money.
thats what distributors are for to handle small orders. mcmaster, MSC, plenty of places sell Starrett tools

They have a whole saw set I'm after, but no one seems to carry it. I called Fastenal and Acklands Grainger, both places don't stock it and can't order it. Any online distributors I've found, if they do carry the set, it's $150 more than what it's listed on Starrett for. I send them an email, but got an error back as it didn't go through. There site doesn't exactly seem to work too well either. So I sent them a message on Facebook, it was read but no reply. Can't say I'm impressed with their customer service.

They have a whole saw set I'm after, but no one seems to carry it. I called Fastenal and Acklands Grainger, both places don't stock it and can't order it. Any online distributors I've found, if they do carry the set, it's $150 more than what it's listed on Starrett for. I send them an email, but got an error back as it didn't go through. There site doesn't exactly seem to work too well either. So I sent them a message on Facebook, it was read but no reply. Can't say I'm impressed with their customer service.

How about Sowa ?

Facebook? Umm. Starrett is old school. Call them on the telephone.

UPDATE:

So contacted them through their website (finally their form was working) and they said they do not ship to Canada or sell to the end user. They gave me a couple retailers closer to me. Contacted the one and it was a $100 more than what I could find from an online source after shipping and exchange.

Check with a real distributor that deals with machine shops, I mostly use DGI in my area, they should be able to order pretty well anything and save some $.
Forget Ackland and Fastenal for this stuff.

If you're near a border you can get it shipped to one of those drop locations and pick it up. Half the time Customs don't care and they won't nail you for the tax.

Sux getting stuff here in the "Peoples Repuplic of Kanada" eh?

Back