What's new
What's new

How to tell what kind of collet a holder takes?

Parkerbender

Stainless
I just got some toolholders, and I don't know what kind of collet they take. The nut has an insert on the bottom side of the neck, that is tapered and rotates, and is held in place with a snap ring. The top of the taper is .9 diameter, then there is a chamfer? bigger taper that goes out to 1", and matches the nut. The taper is 1.25" deep.

Any ideas? I am pretty uneducated, but someone who knows their collets can maybe just know what kind... here are a couple pics, otherwise I can take decent-er ones, if need be...

VDI 40 CNC Toolholder MTA 3664256 R2 | eBay

Thanks!

-Parker

I thought it looked like an ER in those pics too, i guess... the taper is wayyyyyy more shallow though, like as deep as I can get with my calipers it only comes down from .910 to .913 where the taper changes angles...

I just got some toolholders, and I don't know what kind of collet they take. The nut has an insert on the bottom side of the neck, that is tapered and rotates, and is held in place with a snap ring. The top of the taper is .9 diameter, then there is a chamfer? bigger taper that goes out to 1", and matches the nut. The taper is 1.25" deep.

Any ideas? I am pretty uneducated, but someone who knows their collets can maybe just know what kind... here are a couple pics, otherwise I can take decent-er ones, if need be...

VDI 40 CNC Toolholder MTA 3664256 R2 | eBay

Thanks!

-Parker

That toolholder body is just a straight boring bar holder with a reducer bushing and a Kennametal Double Angle (DA180) collet body clamped inside via the setscrews. It is NOT an ER series collet. The hex nut is a dead giveaway.

They make ok drill collets, but they are not rigid enough for a boring bar or an end mill. They are a little more rigid than a Jacobs drill chuck, but that's about it. The collet locks down on the 3 little chamfers. The straight part of the collet is a slip fit in the body.

Sent you a PM.

Images lifted from ebay:

Attachments

• Kennametal DA180 Collet chuck.JPG
    Kennametal DA180 Collet chuck.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 573
  • Kennametal DA180 collets.JPG
    Kennametal DA180 collets.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,612

Back