What's new
What's new

OT, kinda Denver trip, any must sees, tool, tooling, or surplus places?

gbent

Diamond
I hope to be in Colorado this weekend into next week. Are there any neat stores that appeal to the type of folks attracted to this forum? I'll be in the Denver and Colorado Springs area.

Sorry but cannot think of any. The last, interesting, machine tool place was auctioned off a year or so ago when the cranky guy that ran it "retired". There are several small machine shops still around. Arrow? ( which used to be Accutronics) is still around as a large machine shop. The goto place for accurate and difficult stuff - now I think they do mostly aerospace stuff and are pretty much lights out.

There's a small outfit that sells on E-bay in Colorado Springs - they sell odd lots of new milling cutters, inserts and the like but it is pretty boring to visit.

Otherwise there is a reasonably good, but small, mining museum at the North Gate of the US Air Force Academy, a train museum in Golden and a collection of really old rusty lathes and the like sitting out in the open in Victor. If you have the time, Victor, an old mining town, is worth the visit - dilapidated old town with Opera House and a few people still living there next to this GIANT leach pit mining operation. Has great scenery.

Chris P

Denver machine tool Denver Machine Tool, Inc. I havent been in 2 years But Frank is one of the only ones left in denver has some tooling for sale. Richards machine tool is up north of Denver behind the John Deere dealer in Longmont I think. I havent been there in 6-7 years. I showed up one year and there was not a thing in the shop and Richard told me is is not selling machine any more. I was tolled that he is back to selling machiney and tooling? Ken

r

Having just visited 2 weeks ago, Colorado is my favorite state by far. Any chance you can spend any additional time there? If so if you could make your way down south the Durango and Silverton and Cumbers and Toltec steam railroads are a must see for anyone who loves big cool machines that make a lot of smoke and power! If you like anything railroad related Colorado is the state for it. If you do go that way make sure you drive down the million dollar highway from Ouray to Silverton, that is quite the road. I would not recommend doing that when there is snow!

Closer to Denver Coors Brewery does a nice tour and that is right up the road from the Colorado Railroad Museum which is also a great place to stop.

As for used tool places I had packed the trip so full of other stuff that I didn't have time to look around. I did pass by one building that had a sign that looked promising somewhere off Route 25 heading north prior to the football stadium. I tried to find it for you, but I couldn't on Google earth. I wish I remember the name, it looked and sounded like an old school dealer, but no idea if they were in buisness. I did stumble upon these guys though. Charlie's Second Hand Store & Used Tools Plus | Used Tools Plus

Back