What's new
What's new

OT- Does there exist a Kindle type device where you can read books but also examine

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
the hyperlinks often contained within the books ? In other words, a Kindle Paperwhite is fantastic for reading books...small, lightweight, thin, battery last very long time....But if you want to examine a web link in the book...it is possible, but difficult...sometimes the website text is too small, or too light to read...and you can't enlarge the text of websites.

Of course one could read books on an iPad and not have that problem but the iPad is much larger, heavier, and short battery life. iPay mini would be getting there, but still much heavier than a Kindle and more expensive. So, what, if any, is the alternative to the Kindle that meets my desired parameters ?

Milacron, I can't speak to your specific issue of hyperlinks & reading, but if you're interested in an AWESOME tablet, go check out a Microsoft Surface. I'm typing from one right now, and this little thing is awesome.

Great battery life. Has a real USB drive. All the benefits of a real MS desktop computer, + an excellent tablet. Bulletproof physical construction. Nice detachable keyboard with touch-mouse, and is smart-pen compatible. Is split-screen comparable, and is very intuitive & easy to use... As far as capabilities of a tablet device, it blows away anything Apple or Android I've ever seen for a tablet - and I'm a big Android fan.
Don't need the benefits of a desktop computer...just want to read books but examine links in the books sometimes. Plus unlike Kindle the Surface has to boot up, battery life much less than Kindle, is way too expensive..even worse than iPad Mini. As such I don't think you paid the least bit of attention to what I actually wrote but just want to tell the world how in love you are with your Surface.

I know nothing about it but I saw a commercial today for a "Amazon Fire" I assumed it was a reader. Maybe worth a look?

Brent

the hyperlinks often contained within the books ? In other words, a Kindle Paperwhite is fantastic for reading books...small, lightweight, thin, battery last very long time....But if you want to examine a web link in the book...it is possible, but difficult...sometimes the website text is too small, or too light to read...and you can't enlarge the text of websites.

Of course one could read books on an iPad and not have that problem but the iPad is much larger, heavier, and short battery life. iPay mini would be getting there, but still much heavier than a Kindle and more expensive. So, what, if any, is the alternative to the Kindle that meets my desired parameters ?

iBook follows hyperlinks embedded into the documents, it opens PDF files as well and reads the links. So if you want a tablet, other than the price what is wrong with the iPad? or an iPhone 6+?

dee
;-D

iBook follows hyperlinks embedded into the documents, it opens PDF files as well and reads the links. So if you want a tablet you can get an iPad.
i never cease to be amazed that even when I anticipate someone's bad advice in advance and give reasons in advance why said recommendation is unacceptable, damned if someone doesn't blurt out that recommendation anyway.

FWIW, I already have an iPad...two of them in fact....the Kindle is way superior for reading books.

Don't need the benefits of a desktop computer...just want to read books but examine links in the books sometimes...... snipped a bunch

You do want the benefits of a computer, (but seem to not want to acknowledge it).

Look for a refurb iPad mini if new ones cost too much. The Retina display models are very nice to read on.

I have a Google Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB 7" tablet which I mainly use for reading Kindle books. There is a Kindle app for Android. It works like a Kindle, but you do not get the free Kindle Unlimited service from Amazon. I get free Kindle books from my local public library and buy Kindle books for prices from free or $ .99 or more on Amazon.

The Nexus 7 Android tablet is Wi-Fi capable, so it can open internet links from within a book in Chrome. The HD color display is extremely good and it has the usual enlarge and reduce capability plus variable brightness. I think it is a good choice at $176 and probably a lot cheaper than Apple and MS products. I have no problem with the battery life or weight, even with a Poetic brand protector. I carry it in a leg pocket of my cargo pants. There is a 4G phone version available if you cannot depend upon having a Wi-Fi connection, but that will cost a bunch more, plus phone service. My solution is to use a 5" Android phone, which will still get Internet when there is no Wi-Fi available. I can read books on the 5" phone, but I like the 7" screen a lot better.

Amazon.com: Nexus 7 from Google (7-Inch, 32 GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) Tablet: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Google Nexus 7 2013 Case - Poetic Google Nexus 7 2013 Case [Slimline Series] - [Lightweight] [Ultra-slim] PU Leather Slim-Fit Trifold Cover Stand Folio Case for Google Nexus 7 2nd Gen 2013 Black (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic):

There is a daily email service that announces the new Amazon free or low price book specials that I have found useful. https://www.bookbub.com/home/

Larry

i never cease to be amazed that even when I anticipate someone's bad advice in advance and give reasons in advance why said recommendation is unacceptable, damned if someone doesn't blurt out that recommendation anyway.

FWIW, I already have an iPad...two of them in fact....the Kindle is way superior for reading books.

i edited my post...you missed that did you not? You asked what reader can follow hyper links, i answered that part. The rest is your beef with the platform that it is running on :). BTW the dude who was the chief engineer at 126labs is a friend of mine, i can ask him why they decided not to allow hyperlinks. Won't change a thing, but may put you at ease. i agree LCD screens suck in sunlight.

dee
;-D

Milacron - Thanks for posting this. You have put your finger on a serious snag with Kindle, and a lot of us who use Kindles, especially for technical reading with embedded tables, links, etc. would like to see a clear answer/solution to the problem as you have framed it. So far, none has emerged, as far as I can tell.
-Marty-

Kindle DX was targeting this idea. It was a kindle, just twice as big so web sites and PDFs were actually readable. I think it was originally targeting the textbook market. Expensive and they never really updated it as far as I know, but it was great for this. I got about three years out of mine before the screen broke.

L Vanice's suggestion of the Nexus 7 is a good one. You can even read on those outdoors.

L Vanice's suggestion of the Nexus 7 is a good one. You can even read on those outdoors.

Except that it essentially shares all the flaws of the ipad and all the color versions of the ebook readers, in that it is still simply a pad computer, rather than the ebook style e-ink easy to read, huge battery life, reader.

I have an ipad, a Blackberry Playbook, a couple ipods, and none of them were as easy to read as the screen on the Kobo Reader I used to have.

I'm gonna o out onna limb and say that no, there is no pad out there that meets the request. You either et the easy to read grayscale with the huge battery life, or you get a color screen and it lives on the charger when not in use.

Cheers
Trev

I to went down this road. Bought a Dell windows tablet, iPad and a couple Android tablets. I went back to a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. I like it alot but can't read in sun light. I keep an old Kindle for at the beach or by the pool. The browser allows for zooming and all that good stuff.

I was going to chime in with jailbreaking recommendations, but apparently the Paperwhite is really finicky and the jailbreaks don't last thru updates. Plus relying on a jailbroken device can be a career unto itself. You've probably got better things to do. I'd be tempted to get a case where the Paperwhite is on one side, and a similar-sized standard tablet is on the other.... You'll have to enter the link manually, but at least you'll have the device with you.

Apparently iPad displays are getting better for outdoor viewing. Still no eink, though. Latest iPad Displays Unrivaled in Daylight Performance

Sony made a tablet last year. Mostly sold in Japan.

Here's a link to a 13" development kit you can apparently buy:
https://www.visionect.com/product/development-kit-with-133-e-ink-display/2
(display only, no touchscreen)

Plus some other stuff...
Driving E-ink display

Sony

The marine market has sunlight-viewable LCD screens that can be driven like a standard display, and with touchscreens. There are sunlight-readable tablets out there too, according to Google. But they're not e-ink based.

Chip

To answer Milicron directly - No.

Paperwhite is unbeatable for reading books and no tablet comes close.

I've tried e-reading on iPad, Surface and a Google Nexus7. All of them strain the eyes.

Back