What's new
What's new

OT: Don't know what it is called ; looking for cushioning sponge like material

Spud

Diamond
sponge rubber, or foam rubber, or just foam

There must be a specific technical name ?
Where can I buy blocks of this stuff ?

Are cavities in said sponge carved out to fit a particular item? If so , how do they do it?

Here is a company that does custom foam packaging solutions but I am just looking to buy a block for a 1-off job so don't want to contract with a company.
Cushion Packaging Solutions for the Electronics Industry | UFP Technologies

Don't really want this pre-scored Pelican foam either
Pelican Custom Services | Foam Solutions

Looking for something like below
Foam Interiors - Packaging your equipment with a foam lining or a routed foam insert will give you the best protection for your equipment complementing the presentation of your product. | Flightcases International A/S

If you are going to store anything that has any oil or grease in it, more important than hardness or color is the actual material that the foam is made from. Some "foam" rubbers will deteriorate and turn to a sticky mess in the presence of even a small amount of oil vapor.

Ask me how I know. Yup, been there and done that.

Not sure how long you intend to store this stuff. But, expanding on what @EPAIII says above, I'm not sure oil is even required for the breakdown of the foam. Outgassing from other plastics may contribute to it. The foam turns into a fine dusty powder that can be a problem for many items you'd want to protect. And then there is the liquefication. You might consider a barrier between the foam and your objects, possibly a fabric (but what fabric won't cause corrosion?). Any oil in any object is going to outgas in that enclosed space.

Folks report that some foam breaks down like that, but not all. So those are reasons you might choose something other than random shipping foam.

While I know photo lenses probably aren't what you are storing, it's worth mentioning that fungus is a big problem with them. It even gets between the lens elements and feeds on the glue. For lenses it is said that "cases are for transport, not storage" and that probably applies to a lot of things. So a desiccant too.

Stop by your local rock n' roll case builder -- they'll have a few options at the ready, and probably suggestions to cut it, too.

It does deteriorate into "dead flesh" consistency over the years, even with nothing stored in it. (I've mostly noticed that when closed up, not exposed to air.)

Chip

used to be n this business.
what pictured is charcoal polyester polyurethane 2.2 lb density.
for making prototypes we would lay out on heavy paper, then cut out like a stencil and then use some gray paint and a stencl brush to transfer the layout we did very complex stuff all day long.
cut out with a band saw where possible, round holes we would use a hammer punch when possible, then used a Delta jig saw with blades with the teeth set ground off.

production was die cut.
polyethylene foam, eva, volara, etc are all available.
foam rubber, ie neoprene, latex, etc, often have sulfur in them, to be avoided

I have cut very clean holes in foam product by abrasive sawing off the rolled lip of soup cans etc. roughly grind the resulting edge sharp. Put the can sharp side on the foam and twist back and forth. A perfectly round hole results. Sections of holes can also be made this way. Made all my fancy photo equipment packs' foam cutouts for lenses that way. Quick.

Denis

The cool-guy way to do it is closed cell foam, with CAD sketched shadows for the parts, water jet cut out. It's fantastic, but $$$.

The similar, but way cheaper and easier solution is Kaizen Foam from FastCap:

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Kaizen-Foam-p13435.htm

Will that foam react to grease, oil , coolant?

Because the item to be ensconced in the foam will be handled by hands that will have some oil,grease, coolant . The item is a microscope for a tool-grinder.

The Kaizen foam does not say what type of Foam it is. Will call them up tomorrow and ask if it will react with above mentioned chemicals.

What about the musical instrument case builder foam mentioned above, what foam is that?

used to be n this business.
what pictured is charcoal polyester polyurethane 2.2 lb density.
for making prototypes we would lay out on heavy paper, then cut out like a stencil and then use some gray paint and a stencl brush to transfer the layout we did very complex stuff all day long.
cut out with a band saw where possible, round holes we would use a hammer punch when possible, then used a Delta jig saw with blades with the teeth set ground off.

production was die cut.
polyethylene foam, eva, volara, etc are all available.
foam rubber, ie neoprene, latex, etc, often have sulfur in them, to be avoided

So what foam do I need that will not react quickly with coolant , oil or grease ? This is for a tool-grinder microscope.

Will that foam react to grease, oil , coolant?

Because the item to be ensconced in the foam will be handled by hands that will have some oil,grease, coolant . The item is a microscope for a tool-grinder.

The Kaizen foam does not say what type of Foam it is. Will call them up tomorrow and ask if it will react with above mentioned chemicals.

What about the musical instrument case builder foam mentioned above, what foam is that?

I've used about 10 of their 2'x4' sheets of the Kaizen foam in a metal/weld shop and didn't see any deterioration of the foam when I left that job.

urethane foam is open cell and will absorb liquids.
polyethlyene foam is closed cell. this is available in various densities, 1.8 lb is the cheapest, 4 lb is what you probably want it is available in heavier densities.
Fastcaps foam is probably Volara or similar, which is cross linked PE foam, it is very fine cell and has a nice silky feel and appearance and is available in many colors.
EVA foam is the foam they use for yoga matts.

Back