What's new
What's new

aluminum carports (where did they go?)

dznit

Aluminum
20 years ago (even 40 years ago) , 10' x 20' & 20' x 20' aluminum carports were common (in Houston). You could buy in kit form & install yourself or have it installed. You could buy just the aluminum sheets, plain or in colors. You could also purchase aluminum buildings (Sears even sold them). For Houston they were perfect for keeping cars & yourself cool. As far as durability, my parents had a 20 x 20 installed in the late 60's & it's still standing & reflecting the summer sun, surviving 3 Hurricanes & only repairs required in over 40 years is occasional caulking screw heads! (well 1 aluminum post was replaced ~ 1980 after my mom hooked it with car bumper)

Fast forward to 2010 .... where are they? I found a few but very rare & $$$$!!!
Am I overlooking them?

BTW: They reflect the summer heat far better than the steel carports that seem to have replaced them

Well, I think many of the mfgrs refused to put engineers stamps on the plans, refused to provide plans, etc.

And the authorities having jurisdiction refused to allow them.

I know of at least one incident here in Indianapolis. Guy gave the deposit, the AHJ insisted on plans, the vendor refused to provide plans, stamp, etc.

Back