What's new
What's new

New guy from Canada Lathe question

steelreaper

Plastic
Hey guys Im new to the machinist world, and have a chance to purchase a Logan 820 for a fantastic price, it comes with a turret attachment and the carriage and its a QC as well. I just wanted to know your opinion on the lathe, again I am a first time lathe user and really excited to make the parts I have a hard time finding for my dune buggies.

Cheers
Reaper

Logans are good lathes and well supported by the grandson of the original company owner (Logan Actuator).

That being said the condition of the lathe is critical. A lathe in poor condition can make it hard or impossible to make quality parts. A cheaper lathe in good condition might be a better buy than a good lathe in poor condition.

Maybe you could find someone to help you check it out, failing that you might simply try a test turn on some aluminum stock and check for parallel - if it turns parallel it's likely in good condition (or good enough that the other problems can be fixed later).

price is good (is it the the $400 one?) but i don't think I'd be attracted to it as a first lathe. There's no tailstock that i can see and minimal tooling. it would make a good third lathe, after you've got a large and small regular lathe....handy for repetitious work but it lacks the flexibility of a well tool regular lathe (vs turret). Imo its cheaper paying more for one with lots of tooling than getting barebones then buying everything afterward....4 jaw, collets, steadies, tool post, drill chuck, centres etc. not that you couldn't learn lots and make parts, but you asked for opinions, that's mine :)

Personally I would not buy it unless I could have an experienced Logan rebuilder inspect it. There is a lot of junk out there with hidden problems. You could spend many hundreds and many months just getting it going. I suggest you go find a nice new import. You will be up and running faster and have a warranty.

When I bought my12x36lathe, it was paid for in 3 months just by making parts in my spare time. Since then it has been my primary money maker.

I was thinking the same thing, I've spoken to the guy and it looks to be in decent condition, I've heard it run on the phone and its quiet as hell. I am going to check it out, but I would love to buy a plug and play lathe. I might hold out on this one. I've sent scott an email with the serial number and it is not a turret lathe, rather the turret was added later. How much are the tail stocks usually? I've seen they want 1000 on the Logan site.

Back