What's new
What's new

OT - Electric Tool ID

Actually looks to be more for vulcanizing breaks in the tire carcass [ie boots] given the shape of the tool. Common repairs pre 1950 or so. In the teens the cost of a set of tires ran 20-25% of the cost of the new car.You did everything you could to save the tire. Get a "************'s Automotive Encyclopedia from the teens/20s and give it a read for some normal/common repair practices. Even today it's common practice in large off road ,tractor etc to do a section repair on a tire ,bond in new rubber/fabric.

The clamp has sufficient reach to vulcanize a patch on the inside of the skinny tires of the twenties and early thirties. Bowes Seal Fast sponsored race cars back then. I remember using self vulcanizing inner tube patches. The patches were on a shallow metal cup that contained a flammable compound. The material inside the cup was ignited, and smoldered away for sufficient time to vulcanize the patch securely to the tube.

Jim

The clamp has sufficient reach to vulcanize a patch on the inside of the skinny tires of the twenties and early thirties. Bowes Seal Fast sponsored race cars back then. I remember using self vulcanizing inner tube patches. The patches were on a shallow metal cup that contained a flammable compound. The material inside the cup was ignited, and smoldered away for sufficient time to vulcanize the patch securely to the tube.

Jim

We had one like that. I was called the Schrader Hot Patch. Bolted to the bench. Light off the stinky cup and voila!

You know, I've been thinking about the 'Electric C-Clamp'. Of course, I was joking, but it would be cool if you could make a battery powered, push-button clamp where you just push the button and it closes. It seems like many times I don't have enough hands to hold all the pieces and tighten the clamp at the same time.

I'll have to suggest this to Harbor Freight...

As a teenager I was on intimate terms with a tube vulcanizer.
No money, shabby tires, dirt, rocky roads.
We could remove tire/tube, vulcanize ,remount like a well oiled factory team! (except as far as I know no factory teams practiced this routine)

You know, I've been thinking about the 'Electric C-Clamp'. Of course, I was joking, but it would be cool if you could make a battery powered, push-button clamp where you just push the button and it closes. It seems like many times I don't have enough hands to hold all the pieces and tighten the clamp at the same time.

I'll have to suggest this to Harbor Freight...

Looks like junk to me, be careful what you ask for. Black & Decker ACC1 AutoClamp - C Clamps - Amazon.com

Bowes seal fast was still in business in the late 70s, I worked in a FULL service station and we carried their products.

Back