What's new
What's new

HELP - Moving my machines, Bay Area, CA

vinay

Aluminum
Can anyone reccomend a moving/rigging service in Bay Area, CA.

I have to move my FP1, 10Lathe, Atlas shaper and a drill press from San Mateo to Los Altos (about 20 miles, garage to garage).

I used to be able to do this myself, but not any more.

I got a quote from a rigger for 6 hours at 240$/hour, not sure if this steep for 4 relatively small machines.

Can you guys give me your feedback.

Thanks, Vinay

In the East Bay, there's a guy by the name of Mike who works here:

Gary-Aragon items - Get great deals on Power Equipment, Sheet Metal Machines items on eBay Stores!

Not a professional rigger, per se, but does a lot of machine moving. He's moved some machines for me. He's got a big rollback truck and a ~5K forklift he typically takes with him, which would be fine for you. I'd guess he'd charge about half the rigging quote you got. I'm not sure about any issues like licensing or insurance, etc. if that's important to you.

You could call Performance Machine and ask for references. They are just down the road from Aragon, and I think Mike does some moving for them, so they might give the same reference. Here's their website.

Performance Machine Tools - New & Used Machinery

This PM thread has a reference to a guy in Redwood City:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/tree-moving-day-190520/

Mike calls him self Captin Hook or Doctor Hook something like that. he gave me a card when I meet him at Gary Aragons. Ken

I didn't think Mike called himself Captain Hook, but I could be mistaken. However, Captain Al Hook is what the guy he bought the truck from called himself, and his business cards said that. Al had this business (towing originally, then machinery moving) for many years until an injury forced him out about a year or so ago. His truck had this painted on the side too, and Mike has certainly not repainted the truck, but he might be re-using the business cards.

I don't have his number handy, but if you call Aragon's place (number on the website I listed) and ask for Mike, you'll get him.

We are moving our shop on Friday and using Vierra Trucking. They have delivered machinery for us in the past and seem like a great company. They are going to be moving 8 of my machines and hopefully get it all done within one day.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input. Much Appreciated.

I was able to contact Mike, and I will be using him.

Vinay

Back