What's new
What's new

OT- Experience with two twin XL mattresses versus one King mattress ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Leesa has their twin XL's on sale such that one could buy two of those to make a king bed a little cheaper than one king mattress....but the main reason twin XL's are of interest is the possibility in the future of making one side adjustable via one of the motorized frames.

But wondering about that pesky gap between the mattresses...how noticeable and/or annoying is that in real life ?

My parents have one in a guest room. There is a 'T' shaped insert you put in between the mattresses that covers the gap, and two straps to keep them from sliding apart. It works well.

Obviously this won't work if you want the sides to move independently. I've never slept on one without the insert.

Agree with previous posts. If you need to relocate things 2 pieces are much easier to get in and out of anyplace like stairways and narrow hallways.

Bob
WB8NQW

For years, my wife and I followed the maker's schedule of rotating the newly-bought king mattress at intervals. By the way, the box springs are two twin XL size. But we are now of an age and lower strength that makes it impossible to flip the very heavy mattress. A while back, I put a memory foam topper on it and stopped feeling guilty about not rotating the mattress.

If I replace the king mattress, it will be the double twin XL type, and may even be adjustable.

Larry

But we are now of an age and lower strength that makes it impossible to flip the very heavy mattress.

Get an air mattress, fill it with Helium....:D

Has anyone tried the new Expensive air mattress's like sleep number ?

I use the dual XL mattress thing and it works very well for me. They are very easy to swap around and move. I also use individual bottom sheets, which make changing the bedding a snap.

But wondering about that pesky gap between the mattresses...how noticeable and/or annoying is that in real life ?

When you have a partner for a lot of years and you both are bored with each other:

When you jerk off she won't be able to detect your movements as easy. Reminds of that movie with Kevin Spacey and Annette Benning.

cheap mattress, recliner, sofa, floor... nothing ever bothered me. my mom would feel a pea between the springs and mattress. so i guess it's a personal thing - therefore no definite answer applies - imo

I strongly recommend twin XL memory foam mattresses. We shopped and tested conventional coil, latex and went with the memory foam and adjustable frames. Spend the few additional bucks for the six-way-adjustable.

We have both CalKing bedding and twin XL and decided we prefer the CalKing, even though using the fitted sheet limits the extremes of individual adjustment.

FWIW, the memory foam twin XK gap is not particularly objectionable. It is a PITA on conventional coil mattresses.

jack vines

and i remember a thread back sometime ago that said the most important thing was sheet thread count. if it wasn't right you might die or get pissed off or something like that
i don't know how to count them anyway

Get an air mattress, fill it with Helium....:D

Has anyone tried the new Expensive air mattress's like sleep number ?

Stayed in a hotel a few years ago that had "sleep number" beds...

The better half likes her mattress squishy, I like it firm.. My side of the bed
was bulged up like a mountain, and she was down in a hole.. When sleeping if I moved
wrong I would roll down the mountain and land on top of her... It SUCKED..

That whole hotel/suite thing sucked.. It was hotter than hell out, and the AC was on
a motion detector. so we'd leave in the morning and not come back until night time and
it was a 96 degrees in the damn room/suite.. The AC would crank ALL NIGHT LONG, and it would
get cool enough to be comfortable by about 4am..

We've got some king size 4 foot thick memory foam top thing now, I think its a Sealy.. $3500
mattress, she found it on Cragslist for $300.. Pretty damn comfy, and I don't like squishy
mattresses, but it is damn comfy. And I don't care how big the mattress is, the damn dogs
still take up too much room.

I did the two twin idea with one modification. the two twin box spring lowers are on wheels and push together. Put 1/2 plywood on the box spring lowers. Then place twin mattresses on the plywood. It works very well. The seam is hardly noticeable underneath the bedding.

Put 1/2 plywood on the box spring lowers. Then place twin mattresses on the plywood. It works very well. The seam is hardly noticeable underneath the bedding.

But with direct coupling, now the masturbation is noticeable?
Younger guys might want to know how yah resolved THAT part?

And - fair enough for you to ask in return, as these "TMI" things go - I just quit trekking over to the Sheriff's office every two years to report a missing portion and swear out the preparatory search warrant.

Cheap, Iyam.

A few years ago while shopping at the Mall of America the wife and I walked into a Sleep Number Store. They have you lay on a test bed and you go thru the numbers on the remote control to find your perfect number. She went first and wrote down her favorite on a card, she was suppose to keep it a secret. Then I did the test. Took what seemed 15 minutes. The salesman figured we would have different numbers and we would buy a bed. What a surprise when we showed our cards and got the same number. It was an instant and he was off to sell someone else a mattress...LOL

I have heard the foam mattresses and the air mattresses get hot fast. We generally cool our house down so it no hotter then 80 at bedtime. If you live in a cooler climate this may not be as much of an issue.
Bill D.

A foam mattress topper over two twins would solve the issue with the seam. At least until you motorized one side.

Also consider how easy it will be to change the bed. Our heavy king mattress fits deep into a "contemporary" cherry wood frame and is a hassle to lift up and out to get fitted sheets on. Could be, even with a topper, the twins might be easy to fit a king sheet over both? Or, not?

Back