What's new
What's new

Is it wrong to ask someone to heave 90+lbs parts into a lathe unassisted?

Avsfan135

Cast Iron
I have a job coming up where I will need to load parts that are 4.5 OD 19.125 length 4130HF. I'm guessing they are over 90 lbs

The machine is a Daewoo Puma 400

We don't have any type of crane system in place because we don't usually run parts this big.

I think I will be able to do it but it will be tough! there are 12 of them.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
Nick

Its not lifting the part that would be the problem, leaning over the machine and getting it positioned that could pose a problem, not to mention machine damage if it gets dropped.

Grab a helper to load each part if available. Otherwise get creative with wood blocks and such.

I wish I had been nicer to my back in my younger years.

I have a job coming up where I will need to load parts that are 4.5 OD 19.125 length 4130HF. I'm guessing they are over 90 lbs

The machine is a Daewoo Puma 400

We don't have any type of crane system in place because we don't usually run parts this big.

I think I will be able to do it but it will be tough! there are 12 of them.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
Nick

No offense but your :crazy:

Lifting 90 punds - not a big deal

Lifting 90 pound and extending into a lathe - bad on the back

Now add mounting into the chuck - going to end up hurting your back and mashing some fingers one way or another.

Add a helper to get in into place, and some cribbing / blocks to take most of the weight while mounting.

How do you mount/un-mount the chuck? I had a 12" Kitagawa on my LC40 and it must have weighed >100lbs easy.

I just tossed a tie down strap over one of the roof beams and used that to carry the weight when I unfastened the chuck.

$150 will buy you either an electric hoist or manual "boom crane" (like engine hoist) at Harbor Freight. Either is a lot better than lifting 90lb chunks of metal into the lathe.

This is your chance for the workmans comp claim that will set you on easy street. I can pick up 90 pounds and do it all the time but there is no way I would be bending over and loading it in a lathe. Ask the boss to load a few to show you the proper way to do it.

Why don't you rent an engine hoist for a couple of days while you run the parts? It might cost you $50 or $60, but if you drop it on your foot, or smash up your machine, it will cots you a LOT more than that.

Get the boss to buy an engine hoist, its actually amazing how often they come in handy around a machine shop.
I don't think this can be overstated.

Also, you can get creative with some square tube, a counterweight, and a little load analysis to produce a rudimentary crane that even has some reach.

I used to throw 120lb pieces in the manual lathe, hold it tight against the chuck face with the right arm while tightening the 4jaw with the left hand... did that I don't know howmany times, pretty sure its what started my sternum problems(costochondritis) along with some other fairly big stuff I had to do, in the end, not worth it.

Engine hoists are big and ugly to move around, and I don't have the aisle space for such. Since I got a 2000 lb capacity stacker, I've found innumerable applications for it, and slinging and loading parts and fixtures into the lathe and onto the mill with it is almost fun.

You remind me a Bull of the Woods cartoon where the bull was lifting a obviously too heavy bar of steel into a lathe with lightning bolts pointing to his back. The caption reads " to think that you would use a 30 ton crane to lift this little piece steel" Perhaps one of the readers has it and can post it.

We humans have spent tens of thousands of years figuring out how to lift heavy loads with our brains and not our brawn.
Tom

If they offer good health insurance and Colorado has long term disability and unemployment insurance I say go for it! Seriously if they are asking you to do that I would ask your boss to demonstrate chucking a few of them first, sounds to me like you are being used. A back injury is for life and a hernia isnt fun either.

Back