What's new
What's new

nichols mill spindle bearings

vonblowseph

Cast Iron
I am looking to install the faceplate on my nichols mill that will allow me to run the vertical attachment. In doing that I need to remove the spindle which includes the bearings. I was thinking I would replace the bearings since I will have them out. First question is do I need to replace them if they are fine? Second can I replace them with the non precision bearings which are a tenth of the cost of the (3_0000) precision bearings?

thanks,
v. blowseph

can I replace them with the non precision bearings which are a tenth of the cost

If the non precision jobs were good enough don't you think the machine tool maker would have used them?

Guess they were not good enough. Nichols wanted to make a little money and stay in business, so they were smart enough to know not to put in garden variety bearings on a machine tool spindle.

John Oder

I forgot to mention that I was quoted a 26 week lead time on the precision bearings was another reason I wanted to go with the non-precision ones. I was also told that in many instances there is no difference between the precision ones and the non-precision ones. Just extra measurement steps taken to make sure the precision ones are indeed that.

I think what they're trying to tell you is that all the bearings go through the same basic production steps ... except that the precision ones are assembled from selected components and have better surface finish to ensure the final product meets the tighter specs.

I'd bet that a very tiny percentage of the garden variety bearings would meet the precision specs.

.. Gregg

I have a spare head, spindle and bearings for the "open" head design mill- 2 step pulley, smaller ID version. It was from a machine we parted out a few years ago. Not pristine but not worn out either. For sale cheap. I have some other stuff too.

Photos of rear bearing, front is still mounted but identical AFAICT;

Index of /all-photos/bearing

nichols-rear-1.jpg

nichols-rear-2.jpg

Regards,

Greg

how tight?

how much tighter are the tolerances of a precision bearing vs non-precision bearing? I mean if it is still a timken bearing it should be pretty good, right? What if the tightest tolerances that I mill to with this machine is .010"?? Most times I use it to sculpt more than I use it to keep tight tolerances on my parts that I'm making. OR will the non-precision bearing put some extra loads on other parts of the machine causing it to shorten its life. Besides I usually only run it at 500rpm.

Love to hear your thoughts,

Joey

Back